Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supreme Court Blocks War Crime Tribunals at Gitmo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
    At least we now know we have two functioning branches of government.
    What's the 2nd?
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The judiciary. For the executive, malfunctioning still counts as functioning, since it's at least doing something.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Which part of the executive is functioning aside from the military?
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat Once that arrest becomes custodial (a traffic stop is a technical arrest, since you're not free to drive off), then Miranda kicks in.
          [quibble] Miranda is only necessary if there is going to be an interrogation[/quibble]

Comment

Yeah, why do people have such a distorted view of Miranda. The cops don;t hasve to read your miranda rights when they arrest you, only when they want to interrogate you...

Silly DD.

Oh, and to the Supremes!
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

At least we now know we have two functioning branches of government.
              I still only count one...

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                Oh, and to the Supremes!
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                  Yeah, why do people have such a distorted view of Miranda. The cops don;t hasve to read your miranda rights when they arrest you, only when they want to interrogate you...
                  Miranda has two parts: right to remain silent and right to an attorney. Even if they aren't going to interrogate you, you still have the right to an attorney.

BTW; I've never heard of the cops arresting someone and not wanting to interrogate them.

You're under arrest..
                  But I'm so mad at you, I don't even want to talk to you

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel

[quibble] Miranda is only necessary if there is going to be an interrogation[/quibble]
                    The trigger is actually custodial arrest. If you're a possible witness to a crime, and cops start asking you questions, there's no requirement to Mirandize if you're not a suspect and you are not arrested. If you happen to be the perp, or stupid enough to reveal your involvement in another crime, there's no evidentiary issue as to the admissibility of the interrogation until such time as you could reasonably be placed under custodial arrest as a criminal suspect. (in other words, the cops don't necessarily get a free pass to manipulate the system by not arresting you while you're running your mouth, but IIRC, that's still unsettled law as to exactly when a vocal witness who talks himself into becoming a suspect requires Mirandizing.
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Stupid question: will this decision apply to all GWoT prisoners or only those who are U.S. citizens/non-citizen residents? i.e. would a Yemeni who was captured/arrested/kidnapped/detained/whathaveyou in Pakistan and moved to Gitmo get a public trial under U.S. civilian law?
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Miranda has two parts: right to remain silent and right to an attorney. Even if they aren't going to interrogate you, you still have the right to an attorney.
                        nope, that attorney right is only if they are going to question you. If they aren't going to question you, then the judge will be the first to inform of right to counsel at the initial hearing. No pertinent questions=no rights recitation necessary.

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                        BTW; I've never heard of the cops arresting someone and not wanting to interrogate them.
                        Really? Most small time crimes like Disorderly Conduct and Resisting Law Enforcement, Public Intoxication, Prostitution, etc are not going to have the cops need miranda. You only get interrogated if the crime doesn't occur in front of the police and/or they are looking for the defendant to fill in the evidentiary gaps.

Comment

The trigger is actually custodial arrest. If you're a possible witness to a crime, and cops start asking you questions, there's no requirement to Mirandize if you're not a suspect and you are not arrested. If you happen to be the perp, or stupid enough to reveal your involvement in another crime, there's no evidentiary issue as to the admissibility of the interrogation until such time as you could reasonably be placed under custodial arrest as a criminal suspect. (in other words, the cops don't necessarily get a free pass to manipulate the system by not arresting you while you're running your mouth, but IIRC, that's still unsettled law as to exactly when a vocal witness who talks himself into becoming a suspect requires Mirandizing.
                          Hmm, I mustn't of been clear due to my quoting of you. I intended: arrest + interrogation =miranda necessary. The trigger isn't the custodial arrest, its the interrogation after the arrest, hence my quibble with your earlier statement. You can arrest people all day long and miranda may not be implicated.

Comment

Something very interesting I read today. If Article 3 applies to unlawful combatants, then Bush, et al, are guilty of war crimes because of how the detainees have been treated.

Comment

The constitution doesn't make war crimes.

Comment

Article 3 of the Geneva Convetions, which is part of U.S. law.

Comment

Working...
                                X