No announcement yet.

Surgeon chap says secondhand smoke bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking bans are coming. That should give you smokers something else to choke on, and clean air for the rest of us. Just a fact of life, and *****ing about it... well why not? Go ahead.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Rooms with smokers in without ventilation gets smoky, I can understand how someone would be affected by the second hand smoke.

Ive been interested in how far away someone can smell you smoking outside, and its not very far, like arms length (and Ive got a sensitive nose) So anti smoking legislation means Im not going to be able to light up in a park with no-one within 50 metres of me. Thats ridiculous.

I have to share the world with cars, except the drivers are worse because there is not a culture of admitting their addiction to their car, and I have to walk or cycle right next the endless streams of the bastard things.
      Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Is it? Just quit! What do you need the damn things for?

Comment

I quit and restart smoking as my willpower waxes and wanes I wish it wasnt that way
          Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Pray about it, and never quit quitting, until it's done. Once it's done you'll wonder why you let it run your life. You don't smoke cigarettes, they smoke you, like a fish or a piece of beef. You see old smokers? Yellow, smoked, absolutely enslaved.

Quit and never quit quitting! It worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty

I have to share the world with cars, except the drivers are worse because there is not a culture of admitting their addiction to their car, and I have to walk or cycle right next the endless streams of the bastard things.
              QFT

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Well, since banning wouldn't work (Prohibition iin the US serves as a fine example of why not), what else could you do other than tax the hell out of it?

Like I said, hyphocrites..

Did someone point a gun to your head to make you start?

Ah yes, that old chestnutt.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Surgeon chap says secondhand smoke bad

Like what? Complete burning of petrol gives you CO2, water, a small amount of SOX and NXO.

Compare that to the deadly mix of gases coming out from the burning end of a cigarette.
                  Yes, but how many petrol car engines do you know of that completely burn their fuel?

Comment

You guys wrap your lips around the exaust pipe and take a drag? No, cars are for transportation. What are cigs for? Getting off cars requires something better to replace them. Not everyone can ride a bike, the old, the infirm, the people who live 50 miles from work. Getting off cigs requires a will, that's all. Cigs aren't FOR anything.

Comment

Originally posted by alva

Well, since banning wouldn't work (Prohibition iin the US serves as a fine example of why not), what else could you do other than tax the hell out of it?

Like I said, hyphocrites..
                      The word you are looking for is pragmatic.

Originally posted by alva

Did someone point a gun to your head to make you start?

Ah yes, that old chestnutt.
                      It works
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Surgeon chap says secondhand smoke bad

Originally posted by Tim_Augustus
                        Yes, but how many petrol car engines do you know of that completely burn their fuel?
                        Well, cars could be converted to use bio-diesel, so theoretically they don't emit anything other than water vapour and carbon dioxide. While cigarettes and cigars are designed to burn incompletely.
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty
                          Ive been interested in how far away someone can smell you smoking outside, and its not very far, like arms length (and Ive got a sensitive nose) So anti smoking legislation means Im not going to be able to light up in a park with no-one within 50 metres of me. Thats ridiculous.
                          Well, if you are a smoker you are desensitized to the smell. To a non smoker the stench could be really bad (depending on the brand, wind direction, etc.). Not only that, but the smell gets on your skin and in your clothes, so that if I eat at a place where there are a few smokers around me I would smell like one of them afterwards for hours.

Comment

I have no problem with smoking bans in restaurants and other such places, nor with bans on smoking within X feet of the entrances. I didn't have any problems with those things when I was a smoker. It makes perfect sense.

Banning it "out in public" generally... meh, not as much.

Let's be honest - once you remove it from restaurants/bars, most of the damage being done is in smokers' homes. Thats where the little kids get exposed to (significant amounts of) second hand smoke.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Eventually everyone will quit...never seen a corpse smoking.

It's the old "Pay me now or pay me later" quote...just this time from the grim reaper.

The simple truth is that smoking is a MAJOR health problem...it WILL kill you.

Anything that can be done to curtail smoking is a good thing. My Doctor told me I was probably 2-3 days away from a major heart attack that probably would have killed me. And what did I get for this? The "joy" of sucking poisionous gas into my lungs? What a fool I was!

Stop now if you smoke!

Ban smoking everywhere!

(Do I sound converted? hehe)
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

The converts are always the worst.

-Arrian
                                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                                X