No announcement yet.

What is the truth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

err, enemy doesn't neccearily equal a person...

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Harry Potter books believe that you should not name your enemy.

"He who shall not be named." = Lord Voldemort

I don't really have anything else to add.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

You can name races as an enemy in D&D and get all sorts of bonuses against them.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Truth is Truth, and Reality is a perception based issue: if you are able to change a person's perspective, then you are able to change the Reality in which they live.

D

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

I don't really have anything else to add.
            Err, that is what the wizards beleif. I think that there is some idea in the books that that might be the wrong idea..

But that is another example (in speculative fiction) of the idea.

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
              You can name races as an enemy in D&D and get all sorts of bonuses against them.
              Only in the munchkin edition.
              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Is there any other kind?
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

Those that live in fear say that. The Harry, Dumbledore, Sirius, Lupin, etc. do not.
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

/me does the +4 munchkin dance

I'll keep my +5's in reserve.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer

Those that live in fear say that. The Harry, Dumbledore, Sirius, Lupin, etc. do not.
                        Yeah, I think that might be part of one of the points (of the naming your enemy gives you power over them side).

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

That'd be a different 'naming' of the enemy. Everyone has named Voldemort as the enemy, just a lot of them don't want to say his name .
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Harry Potter threadjack

Comment

Reply to OP;

Well it depends really, if naming your enemy gives you a distinct identity to fit with it may become easier to plan your battles and secure your victories. However, if naming your enemy reveals weaknesses to your enemy then name you should not

In most books you'll find that the common masses fear using the name yet the heroes do not. Naming your enemy is associated with bravery but only when the time is right.

Comment

I am pretty sure you need to name your enemy, or you have no idea what you are up against.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X