Questions about the Bible , I ask as I read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about the Bible , I ask as I read

Here is a thread dedicated to my questions about the Bible and its God . I have started reading the Bible in its dead-tree form in the past few days , and I want to ask questions to Christians regarding the interpretation they give to certain passages which , to me , seem a bit strange or otherwise inappropriate .

Query 001 :

I'll begin with a query I have around the part I am now reading . In Exodus 6.3 to 6.5 , God appears to be telling Moses that he will deliberately harden the heart of the Pharoah so that Egypt will suffer plagues in order that Egypt may know that the LORD is the LORD . This seems incompatible with the Christian ideal of a loving and kind god . Could a Christian please clarify ( this is a request I will be making a number of times in this thread ) ?

Query 002 :

My next query is :

Exodus 34.12 to 34.16 :

12 Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land where you are going, or they will be a snare among you. 13 Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and cut down their Asherah poles. [a] 14 Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

15 "Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land; for when they prostitute themselves to their gods and sacrifice to them, they will invite you and you will eat their sacrifices. 16 And when you choose some of their daughters as wives for your sons and those daughters prostitute themselves to their gods, they will lead your sons to do the same.
    This passage seems to me incredibly intolerant of polytheist idol-worshippers , such as the Hindus . Does this mean that no understanding is possible between Hindus and Christians ? Does it mean that the Christian God does not accept Hinduism as a true religion ? It tells Christians to "break the altars" of others , to "smash their sacred stones" . Is such behaviour acceptable by any standard of decency ?

Also - I find it repulsive that other people's worship of their God(s) is called "prostituting" . Can someone explain this ?

I ask - why does God say this ?

Query 003 :

In Genesis ( I'm going back a bit , I know ) 25.29-34 :

Was it right of Jacob , a man of God , to deny his brother food when he was starving ? Has Jacob no familial love for his brother that he has to use such tactics to gain Esau's birthright ?

Last edited by aneeshm; June 23, 2006, 13:53.

So the LORD wants to improve the knowledge of those Egyptians, what more proof for the LORD's love could there be?
    Blah

Comment

we discussed this recently.. I think in the thread you started...?

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Aneeshm, I hope you are reading one of those illustrated Bibles? I've read it in comicbook format when I was a kid. I quite liked it, the drawings and all. The scenario made no sense, but that can't be helped

I think reading it in complete form is a huge waste of time, and I hope you're aware most Christians don't actually do it.

Comment

also, christ only appears in the new testament. The old testament is just there...
          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Old testament rocks. New testament is too hippie

Comment

The Old Testament is a history of what made God decide to sacrifice His son.

What you're mostly going to get from this place, that's full of Atheists, is just trash and ridicule. I no longer have time for it.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

i did not comment on that...

"back in the old days, when god was till vengefull..."

"Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Most Christians don't read it straight through.. I have read and studied more then most Christians and I would never read it straight through...

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                    we discussed this recently.. I think in the thread you started...?

JM
                    Yes , but I did not get a satisfactory answer . Anyway - this is a more general thread , and is meant for all my questions not just this one . So there are a number of other doubts for the clarification of which I shall come here .

Comment

The "I am who I am" is pretty much a tyrant and his actions seem to be selfish and merciless at times. It's His Son Christus, who taught the word of love and forgiveness. And since they're both (together with the Holy Spirit) part of the same threefold...

Comment

This seems incompatible with the Christian ideal of a loving and kind god.
                        Not seems. Is.

Comment

OMFG Christianity is hypocritical!!!!

yeah, so?
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Re: Questions about the Bible , I ask as I read

Originally posted by aneeshm
                            Here is a thread dedicated to my questions about the Bible and its God . I have started reading the Bible in its dead-tree form in the past few days , and I want to ask questions to Christians regarding the interpretation they give to certain passages which , to me , seem a bit strange or otherwise inappropriate .

I'll begin with a query I have around the part I am now reading . In Exodus 6.3 to 6.5 , God appears to be telling Moses that he will deliberately harden the heart of the Pharoah so that Egypt will suffer plagues in order that Egypt may know that the LORD is the LORD . This seems incompatible with the Christian ideal of a loving and kind god . Could a Christian please clarify ( this is a request I will be making a number of times in this thread ) ?
                            Here's an idea: you need to stop reading the Old Testament. It's a collection of Jewish books and different Christian factions can't even agree which one should be included and which one excluded among the collection. It only serves as a way for nerdy European atheists to troll Christians and old self-proclaimed fundamentalist men from Alabama marrying 14-year old girls. Both justify their actions by quoting the wackier and more controversial parts of the Old Testament, which (like I said) aren't Officially accepted as parts of the Old Testament among all Christian factions -- catholics accept parts which aren't accepted by the protestants, orthodox accept parts not accepted by either.

If you want to understand the fundamentals behind Christianity, read the core part of the New Testament, the four different gospels. If you're seeking authority, seek Jesus. There's a reason why George W. Bush constantly referred to Jesus when he was running for president in 2000, he and his speeches unify all the different factions of Christianity.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                              What you're mostly going to get from this place, that's full of Atheists, is just trash and ridicule. I no longer have time for it.
                              good judgement

Comment

Working...
                              X