Apparently I think too much.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sn00py

And reds, I'm going down today to have another look.
    Look at my last post, people have paid money for worse advice than that!!

Don't buy a sh1tty tripod or a scope <80mm

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
      But I do not think emotions should be used against others. Though I may want to yell at someone when I am angry with them, yelling does not serve a purpose. Anger might serve a purpose, but irrational expression of that anger won't.
      But it surely feels good - and so is breaking things. Once in a while you gotta let loose. A volcano that erupts once every so often is much less dangerous than one that's wtih pressure continuously building inside.

Originally posted by Lorizael
      If you can't control, or use, or understand your own emotions, can you really call them your own?
      At least 50% of the world's population has no idea how the digestive system works.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

But even better would be to balance the two, but how the hell do you do that?
        For want of a better answer, I guess it would be "use your brain for matters related to the head, and use your heart for matters of emotion."

Ah, I guess what it means is, when you see a good looking woman down the street just go ahead and say hello. Don't start thinking "what's going to happen?" or "what for?"
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

I think you're right UR.

In which case, I will use my brain when interacting with men and my heart when interacting with women.

wow, a light just turned on inside me.

-----
          edit: I considered it to be sig worthy.

2nd edit: I just realised something! it shouldn't be interact with women, it should be written as "being with women", that's using my heart.
          Last edited by FrostyBoy; June 20, 2006, 22:27.
          be free

Comment

In which case, I will use my brain when interacting with men and my heart when interacting with women.
            QFT

Comment

Spiffor, let me preface by saying that I am extraordinarily insane.

Now.

Control: When the doctor tests your reflexes and hits you on the knee, do you control the reaction? No you don't.
              Understand: Nobody here, even KH in his wildest fantasies, understands one thousandth of how the human mind and body works.
              Monks of incredible focus and determination can control their automatic reactions, and do have the ability to understand their minds to far greater degrees. I would argue that they do, indeed, own more of themselves.

That most humans do not have this talent simply means, to me, that most humans kind of suck. But I won't lower the standards of my definitions in order t fit their suck.

Use: Plenty of things are of no use. Or at least of no immediately fathomable use. How useful is your beard? How useful are your man nipples? How useful is your tailbone? Or, on another hand: how useful is art? How useful is dance? How useful are good-looking clothes? Heck, how useful are good looks at all*?
              I disregard my physical appearance, including facial hair and clothing, as much as I possibly can, because these things are of no use. I don't really consider them to be a part of me. Unused parts of my body would be nice to get rid of, but I have other pressing concerns to deal with first.

Art, dance, aesthetics and expression? These things can certainly be useful, because they can offer insight into the mind, the universe, other people. Anything that furthers understanding can be useful.

I am of the opinion that most humans (including myself) utterly fail to be in full possession of themselves. I am of the opinion that most humans could do so much more with who they are. I am of the opinion that I am extraordinarily insane.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                At least 50% of the world's population has no idea how the digestive system works.
                Probably more. Sucks, doesn't it? Not an excuse.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I think you're right UR.

wow, a light just turned on inside me.
                  You're in for a world of pain. Avoid self-help books, they only help the author.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Emotions are for the weak.

Word.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi

You're in for a world of pain. Avoid self-help books, they only help the author.
                      Huh? I'm not in a world of pain and I don't read self-help books, I laugh at the self-help section in the book store.
                      be free

Comment

Then best to avoid the same advice from them. Just saying.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                          You're in for a world of pain.
                          He's in for a world of trial and error. Learning to deal with emotions is a very personal experience (just like learning to live with one's body, for instance). It can't be taught. It can't be simplified in one-liners.

Personal experience is the fruit of trial-and-error. Sn00ps will try to behave as he describes, he'll obviously fail , and he'll understand the shortcomings of his approach, according to his values, to his past experience, to his personality etc.
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

You feel too much.
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                            X