Why Do Christians Condemn Alcohol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do Christians Condemn Alcohol?

In another thread about Baptists, it mentions the baptists condemnation of drinkers and alcohol.

And yet didn't Jesus say "Take this WINE and drink...."?? and to do it often in remembrance? I've heard that some denominations use grape juice...WHY? Are they better than Jesus?

Another famous example is Noah...saved by God for being the only "righteous dude" on earth.

One of his first actions post-Flood: Planting the vine and getting royally pissed. Also, it's a pretty clear implication that wine was a gift from god to Noah. Note that in the famous story of Noah's drunkenness after the 'World's First Bender' it's Noah's SONS who get condemned for disrespecting and mocking him when he was trashed, NOT the righteous Noah for being drunk.

So how why the 'heck' do so many Christians, from a religion that explicitly commands them to drink and whose God (jesus) drank alcohol, condemn drinking and say that abstaining is godly?

It seems to be a very modern invention...most beers were invented in monasteries, etc.
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

It's a carry-over from the temperance movement of the 19th Century. Alcohol abuse was common, and drunk men beating the crap outta wives and children was also. Also, beer halls were common meeting places for evil union organizers.

The Chicago Beer Riots which shows what happens when you tried to take radical Germans beer away.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Alcohol is evil. If Christians realize this, then bully for them
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Sorry....Methodists were around in the colonial days, saying no whiskey you sinners. I think it had something to do with fun being sinful.

Comment

So if you see Baptists referenced, why do you expand to all Christians. A good Christian might go moderately.

Walk into a bar.
          Mormons own the bar, but are seemingly disgusted by the patrons.
          Those running out the back door trying not to be seen are Baptists.
          Those with their head on the bar snoring are Catholics.
          The moderate Methodist buys you a round.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Spiritus contra Spiritum

==Edit:
            Latin always win!
            Last edited by CrONoS; June 14, 2006, 23:58.
            bleh

Comment

Catholic here. I fully support wine and drink. Maybe I should be Episcopalian or something.
              If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

See?
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Hmm, maybe it leads to sexual behavior and that's a no no, because Chrissies are supposed to hate their bodies and not masturbate and cut their willies off until they marry someone who is of opposite sex so they can make 3000 children and something like that?

In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Lesse, with Catholics, you have the Italians and the Irish. No explanation needed why the argument for "why do christains condemn alcohol" isn't a good blanket term.
                    "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                    "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                    Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Re: Why Do Christians Condemn Alcohol?

Originally posted by Seeker
                      So how why the 'heck' do so many Christians, from a religion that explicitly commands them to drink and whose God (jesus) drank alcohol, condemn drinking and say that abstaining is godly?
                      Can't talk for every christian on earth, but from my christian time (a long time ago), it was not drinking or alcohol that was forbidden. What is forbidden is being addict.
                      For a christian, only the Lord should be [your] god. You are supposed to be slave, addict to the Lord and nobody or nothing else.

Some extremists preachers teach not to drink a single drop, because in their mind, they think one slip could make you addicted and THAT is specifically forbidden by the first (second?) command: thou shall have no other god.
                      Same goes for all drugs.

Others say being drunk is forbidden because only the Lord should control your life. When you are drunk, you are out of control. In the mind of such preachers: some drunk people are violent, proof that Satan has taken control.

For others, the Lord Jesus Christ should bring you all the joy you need. Drinking - to be happy or have fun - is some kind of proof that Jesus does not fulfill that. maybe you are not christian enough...
                      Not to say that this is 'artificial' joy, not true joy. This is a strong suspect for being from Satan, lord of deception (see point 1 above: you are going to pay for this 'joy': it will make you addict).

... maybe other reasons I don't think of right now...
                      The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Very well thought out response, Dry.

Comment

i swore i thought this was an aneesham thread.

anyway between jesuits and episcopals you could have one rocking party

and christ should have mandated that light american beers were forbidden.
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I'm Orthodox, and we like booze too.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                              Alcohol is evil. If Christians realize this, then bully for them
                              Computers are evil. If old folks realise this, then bully for them

Comment

Working...
                              X