Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

85% Support English as Official Language Of U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85% Support English as Official Language Of U.S.

85% Support English as Official Language Of U.S.
    June 9, 2006

Eighty-five percent (85%) of Americans believe that English should be the official language of the United States. The latest Rasmussen Reports survey of 1,000 adults found that only 11% disagree and 4% are not sure.

Last month, as part of legislation on immigration reform, the Senate voted 63-34 to make English the “national” language. The semantic difference between an “official” language and a “national” language is something that only a politician could love. The survey did not attempt to make any such distinction.

An official language would require all government publications and business to be conducted in English. That requirement was not included in the Senate legislation. However, the bill does state that no one has "a right, entitlement or claim to have the government of the United States or any of its officials or representatives act, communicate, perform or provide services or provide materials in any language other than English."

Making English the nation’s official language is favored by 92% of Republicans, 79% of Democrats, and 86% of those not affiliated with either major political party.

It is supported by 91% of those over 40 and 78% of those under 40. There is little difference in the views of men and women or across income categories. Eighty-eight percent (88%) of white Americans support English as the official language along with 76% of non-white Americans.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D) was upset by the measure that passed the Senate and declared it “racist.”

The House of Representatives did not include a requirement for making English the national language in their immigration reform proposal.

Fifty-six percent (56%) of Americans now say that immigration reform is a “very” important issue in terms of how they will vote this November. Among those who say immigration is very important, 92% favor making English the official language of the United States.

Crosstabs and other survey data are available for Premium Members.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rasmussen Reports is an electronic publishing firm specializing in the collection, publication, and distribution of public opinion polling information.

Rasmussen Reports was the nation's most accurate polling firm during the Presidential election and the only one to project both Bush and Kerry's vote total within half a percentage point of the actual outcome.

During Election 2004, RasmussenReports.com was also the top-ranked public opinion research site on the web. We had twice as many visitors as our nearest competitor and nearly as many as all competitors combined.

Scott Rasmussen, president of Rasmussen Reports, has been an independent pollster for more than a decade.
    I was honestly surprised at how many democrats, and how many younger people, support this.

I don't see why this is a big deal (in other words, I wouldn't change it so that English is the official language). I don't see any reason to oppose it either though.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

You wouldn't be surprised if you had more exposure to the issue. Just a guess on my part. No offense intended.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'm with Ming on this.

Only Americans could get worked up about this. English is the language of most of the nation. Immigrants have had to learn it for generations up to now...except for the english who arrived speaking a bastardized version . It's only now with politicly correct Hollywood morons *****ing and moaning about every single thing that there's a problem. We have to worry about how speaking different languge will make people feel.

No, I suggest the US should be more like Ming's Apolyton. You speak English or YOU'RE BANNED.

Case closed.
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

It's a measure I support, to be honest. It aids assimilation, it's part of our national character (yeah, it could've been German, I know, but it ain't), I believe anyone moving to, say, France, should learn French, etc.

But most of the liberals I know are rabidly against it, and given the connection between liberalism and democrats, I expected a much lower percentage of dems to approve; similarly for the connection between youth and libs. I'm pleasantly surprised, but surprised nonetheless.

No offense taken, Sloww. I know you're a good egg.

Comment

What exactly are the practical implications of this? AFAIK, you already need to speak basic English to get US citizenship, and all federal and, I would assume, state government business is conducted in English, so I'm left to wonder what exactly would change.
            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

It's only now with politicly correct Hollywood morons *****ing and moaning about every single thing that there's a problem.
              Among with spoiled rich kids who always seem to see it fashionable to be masochist-nationalists...

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D) was upset by the measure that passed the Senate and declared it “racist.”

Comment

It's just not a big issue to me. Functionally, English is the language of the USA. It's just not formalized... and that leaves some extra wiggle room for some biligual stuff that I don't think is bad.

So count me as mildly against changing the way it is now. I just don't think it's broke.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I'm not against the measure, necessarily... I think everyone who comes here should take it upon themselves to learn English.

However, why the need for this legislation? Just pandering to the frothing anti-immigrant right-wingers?

America did all right without an "official" language for 200 years... I see no reason to do this now... just because people are getting all pissy about Mexicans.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

In a world where local languages are dying out, while others are dealing with major additions thanks to English - that Americans, in and English speaking country, might be worried that English is being surpassed, in their own country, is hillarious.

Let the market decide. If English truly is necessary to get by, then people will be forced to learn it. If not, then the market has spoken and English has lost - time to move on.

Comment

I agree Jimmy.

Plus, I happen to think English is a stupid language.

Communication and language is a constantly changing and evolving process. To make a particular language "official" and part of law is just ridiculous... especially when it's not needed.

A lot of people outside of America are all *****y because they think America is exporting its culture... but yet, in America, people are whining about this crap?

STFU NOOBZ

That's really all I have to say on the matter.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I think people should communicate in grunts and L33T speak :d:

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

English will obviously win. But there's no reason to force anything, for example by not providing any education or information in Spanish. That's about as useful as Oerdin's proposed solutions for China.

Comment

An important distinction

A lot of people outside of America are all *****y because they think America is exporting its culture...
                            America is not exporting it's culture. Americans are.

This matters since governments like France have been actually spending billions every year for a long time now into actively increasing the influence of their language and culture. United States hasn't, unless we count the Voice of America.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                              English will obviously win. But there's no reason to force anything, for example by not providing any education or information in Spanish. That's about as useful as Oerdin's proposed solutions for China.
                              Oh yeah, I would be against them removing education or information about Spanish (or other languages).

I don't see how that directly relates to having an official language. About the only place where I could see it, is that in school English would have to be taught (maybe this is already true?). If they removed ESL I would be against it (and I think most people would be also).

Jon Miller
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                              X