Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hawking: We must colonize Space...or Die.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also Battlefield Earth.

Probably not as good a book, but a fun story of scattered pockets of humanity rising up again.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Ugh, Battlefield Earth was terrible. I managed to make it through (was definitely tired of it by the end), I checked to see if any of the rest of L Ron Hs stuff was any different and it was all the same..

JM
      (it would have been a fun short story, I think)
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Well, think about it this way. If 80% of the population of the earth was killed, the rest would probably descend into chaos and our tech would probably sink back towards dark ages levels or worse.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

VG, but we could be saved by The Postman!
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I read Riddley Walker recently, it was pretty interesting (and was about what happens after the collapse of civilization after the use of an Atomic Bomb).

I keep meaning to read A Canticle for L.. which is also about the world after civ. collapse.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
              Uh, they won't be mutants if that's what you're asking...
              Who said anything about mutants?

But if a large scale disaster wipes out most of humankind, and the survivors are forced to adapt in order to live, then I'm willing to bet evolution might become a bit more efficient, which may create people that can't breed with what we call humans today.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

It takes a lot of evolution to get to that point Lorizael.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I choose death. I just can't fit space colonization in my schedule right now.
                  What?

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger
                    If humanity gets wiped out, then there won't be anybody left to complain that humanity just got wiped out. So what's the problem?
                    Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                      It takes a lot of evolution to get to that point Lorizael.

JM
                      Certainly it does, but that doesn't discount the possibility.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger
                        If humanity gets wiped out, then there won't be anybody left to complain that humanity just got wiped out. So what's the problem?
                        Loins, stop peeing in the gene pool!

Comment

What makes you think that man 1 million years from now would be able to be bred with men today, even not including the possibility of a world wide disaster?

Jon Miller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Uh... nothing makes me think that. I consider it a strong possibility that humans today won't be able to breed with humans a million years from now. What's your point?

Comment

Astronomer Sir Martin Rees said that we have a 50% of distroying ourselves before we reah Type I civilization status.

Comment

Cripies, we're not even to Type I yet

So, what are we? Type 0?

Comment

Working...
                                X