Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hawking: We must colonize Space...or Die.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawking: We must colonize Space...or Die.

HONG KONG - The survival of the human race depends on its ability to find new homes elsewhere in the universe because there's an increasing risk that a disaster will destroy Earth, world-renowned physicist Stephen Hawking said yesterday.

Humans could have a permanent base on the moon in 20 years and a colony on Mars in the next 40 years, the British scientist told a news conference.

But, he added: "We won't find anywhere as nice as Earth unless we go to another star system."

Mr. Hawking, who will give a lecture to a sold-out crowd today in Hong Kong, said that if humans can avoid killing themselves in the next 100 years, they should have space settlements that can continue without support from Earth.

"It is important for the human race to spread out into space for the survival of the species," Mr. Hawking said. "Life on Earth is at the ever-increasing risk of being wiped out by a disaster, such as sudden global warming, nuclear war, a genetically engineered virus or other dangers we have not yet thought of."

The 64-year-old scientist -- author of the global best-seller A Brief History of Time -- uses a wheelchair and communicates with the help of a computer because he suffers from a neurological disorder called amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS.

One of the best-known theoretical physicists of his generation, Mr. Hawking has done groundbreaking research on black holes and the origins of the universe, proposing that space and time have no beginning and no end.

However, Alan Guth, a physics professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, said Mr. Hawking's latest observations were something of a departure from his usual research and more applicable to survival over the long term.

"It is a new area for him to look at," Mr. Guth said. "If he's talking about the next 100 years and beyond, it does make sense to think about space as the ultimate lifeboat."

But, he added, "I don't see the likely possibility within the next 50 years of science technology making it easier to survive on Mars and on the moon than it would be to survive on Earth."

"I would still think that an underground base, for example in Antarctica, would be easier to build than building on the moon," Mr. Guth said.

Joshua Winn, an astrophysicist at the California Institute of Technology, agreed. "The prospect of colonizing other planets is very far off, you must realize," he said.

Mr. Hawking's "work has been highly theoretical physics, not in astrophysics or global politics or anything like that," Mr. Winn added. "He is certainly stepping outside his research domain."

Mr. Hawking's comments yesterday were reminiscent of the work of American astrophysicist Carl Sagan, who was a believer in the existence of extraterrestrial intelligence.

Mr. Sagan, a Cornell University professor and NASA-decorated scientist who died in 1996, noted that organic molecules, the kind that life on Earth is dependent on, appear to be almost everywhere in the solar system.

Mr. Sagan played a leading role in the U.S. space program, helping design robotic missions and contributing to the Mariner, Viking, Voyager and Galileo expeditions.

But his work also focused on the search for habitable worlds and intelligent life beyond the solar system, as well as theories about life's origins, ideas popularized in his best-selling 1985 novel, Contact, which was made into a film starring Jodie Foster.

At yesterday's news conference, Mr. Hawking said he to was venturing into the world of fiction. He plans to team up with his daughter, 35-year-old journalist and novelist Lucy Hawking, to write a children's book about the universe aimed at the same age group as the Harry Potter books.

"It is a story for children, which explains the wonders of the universe," said Ms. Hawking. They did not provide further details.
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

*Harry buys 1 share of Bigelow Aerospace*

Comment

We should just have those phaser guns ready before we meet the Klingons
      Blah

Comment

Of course chances are high that mankind will get rid of itself
        before being able to build the first generation ship
        with the purpose of colonizing other star systems
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Life on Earth is at the ever-increasing risk of being wiped out by a disaster
          Life on Earth has a very low probably of being wiped out. Human beings, on the other hand, are rather less hardy creatures.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

"It is important for the human race to spread out into space for the survival of the species," Mr. Hawking said. "Life on Earth is at the ever-increasing risk of being wiped out by a disaster, such as sudden global warming, nuclear war, a genetically engineered virus or other dangers we have not yet thought of."
            A virus wiping out life on earth? Perhaps he should stick to physics...

Comment

I think he forgot to insert "human" before "life."
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Even so, it doesn't sound particularly probable. Mass death, destruction of civilization perhaps, but total extinction? No way. Some isolated pocket of humanity will survive. Whatever the disease is, some people will be immune and will survive.
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

But will they still be human?

I like this line.

He is certainly stepping outside his research domain.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I agree with Ozzy, to completely eradicate mankind would be much more difficult than just killing enough humans to let them slide back into stone age.
                    But to do the latter there wouldn´t even have to be genetically engineering involved.
                    Especially for bacteriae we create our own nemesis by using antibiotics even for minor diseases, thereby enabling them to get tolerant to the antibiotics used.
                    5 or 10 years ago there even was a case of pulmonia infecting someone who was lying in a hospital in japan, which couldn´t be cured by any of the antibiotics available at this time, in the end causing the death of the patient.
                    Its just like an arms race. The medicine scientists always developing new antibiotics, while the bacteriae are also quick in developing tolerances against them.
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

If humanity gets wiped out, then there won't be anybody left to complain that humanity just got wiped out. So what's the problem?
                      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I was under the impression that we are going to die no matter what...
                        Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                        And notifying the next of kin
                        Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                          But will they still be human?
                          Uh, they won't be mutants if that's what you're asking...

Worst case scenario I think it'd set back our progress and civilization back a thousand years or so. But humans are resiliant, we'd bounce back. And it'd be a heck of a lot easier to bounce back on Earth than a moon colony.
                          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Oh noes! We will all die eventually!
                            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

There´s a nice book about survivors of such a catastrophic scenario nearly exterminating mankind.

"Dark universe" by Daniel Galouye

After a great nuclear war there are survivors hiding in a large enclosed cave system. During generations they adapt to the darkness and the ecologic system there, learning to see withn the ears, by analyzing the echos, developing a primitive tribe society and nearly totally forgetting the past. They still have functioning eyes, but due to the total darkness in the cave they don´t use them anymore and "light" is just something of a mythical past of which the elder ones of the tribe tell miraculous stories.

Very interesting read

Comment

Working...
                              X