Crystals, what are they good for??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
    Most stuff that's not plastic or other organic stuff is crystal.
    True. Steel, aluminium, etc., etc.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
      Ages ago I opened a bookstore in my home here in Oregon. A really hot chick wafted in, spinning around with arms extended...

She saw me behind my counter and grinned and wafted over.

"You should sell crystals here, the energy is really good"

Then waited expectantly.

I asked what crystals are for and it turn out that there's a vortex here in Oregon and people take crystals and bury them in the forest somewhere, leave them for a while then dig them up and absorb the energy from them.

I explained that this was a book store...
      That's not the way to treat a really hot babe.

Say something like, "The energy must have brought you to me."
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
        Did Z just have a nasty breakup with a chick named Crystal or summat? Kinda random topic...
        Naw....I was poking around with an idea for an SF story, and on the planet, the bottom of the food chain -- instead of being plankton -- was going to be airborne crystals. So I'm trying to figure a way to devise a food chain with crystals on the bottom and humans at the top.

Urby has kinda a good idea with sugar. Hmm, itty bitty floating blimps made out of sugar crystals. ...Sugar's kinda heavy tho. I don't know whether it could be used to make itty bitty blimps.

Comment

I made a fantasy story/TV series when I was a kid. Crystals appeared about season 4. Guess what they did.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I dated a girl named Crystal, and I almost took another to my Junior prom 6 years ago.

Oh, and to answer the thread question: Definitly not your heart
            "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Basically, a crystal is a regular arrangement of atoms or molecules in a solid. A range of substances, mostly those consisting of ions or small molecules, arrange themselves in crystalline form when they are solids. In most cases, the structure is microcrystalline, which means the size of a single crytal in the solid is in the micrometer range with large variations. (contrasting this with petroleum is a bit comparing apples to oranges).
              As mentioned, sugar, salts, metals and many other inorganic compounds are in a (micro)crystalline state. But when you use them, you aren't normally interested in the crystalline state. At least superficially - for metals, the exact crystalline state and the type of imperfections make for most of the mechanical properties. The traditional way of hardening steel is mostly changing crystalline states and structures. All hard/abrasive substances I know are crystalline (diamond, corundum, boron nitride, boron carbide, ...)
              Semiconductor devices (electronics or lasers) are mostly made on single crystals - one of the main reasons is that their electrical properties are far easier to predict and design. Also some optical devices build on special properties which are only found in some crystals. Your LCD display contains liquid crystals, which are liquids where the molecules have shapes which prefer to aggregate in more or less crystal like structures (and even may be derived from petroleum).

And, no, "crystal glass" is not crystalline.
              Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

We know.
                "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Lightsabers
                  "Common sense is as rare as genius" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                    I made a fantasy story/TV series when I was a kid. Crystals appeared about season 4. Guess what they did.
                    Lured in young hippie women from the Oregon woods looking for...er...energy??

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                      I heard that Crystals are awesome in bed. The trick is getting them in there.
                      i haven't done this in a while:

**evil grin**
                      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

That's not the way to treat a really hot babe.

Say something like, "The energy must have brought you to me."
                        Yeah, but I was living with a hottie Swiss chick at the time and was trying to keep that going. Both the Swiss chick and the hippie chick were hotties, but I really liked the accent of the Swiss and with the hippie chick there was too much potential wandering in the woods watching her waft along and spin around, arms extended, feeling the energy and being full of herself.

Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Lured in young hippie women from the Oregon woods looking for...er...energy??
                          Actually no. They were used as a power source by humans, since only creatures born in the central dimension could use them without ancillary devices. Red crystals were used for pure energy and some speculate that they contained the powers of all other crystals. Blue crystals had the power of travel, and could even separate the souls of some creatures from their bodies effectively destroying them. It's believed that all matter originates from crystals, and the reason that central dimension creatures have more power is because their matter is more "pure crystal" and petal dimension creatures. I'd better stop, I could go on forever about this.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Well crystals usually don't make good energy sources. Matter arranged in a nice pattern tend to have lower energy than matter randomly scattering about.

Individual molecules or atoms in a crystal could provide energy, mostly when they become oxidized. Sugar of various forms is a good example.

Comment

And with a pick-up line like that you wonder why you can't seduce Oregonian hippie woodland ladies??

Comment

Allows you to beat the whole game.
                                "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                                "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                                Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Working...
                                X