No announcement yet.

I have new respect of ancient mariners.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have new respect of ancient mariners.

I went ocean kayaking with a few friends and friends of friends today and I'm totally beat. Don't get me wrong I had a blast but paddling all day, often against the current, has given me new respect for the ancient mariners who paddled their way across the ocean.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

I'm still blown away by the ancient Tihitians who paddled a thousand miles to discover Hawaii.

I can't help thinking about all the poor guys who must have paddled a thousand miles in some other direction only to die of hunger or thirst.

Comment

What a pity there was only paddling in ancient times. No currents, no winds, no nothing. Just paddling, and the occasional whale nudging.

Comment

Columbus used trained dolphins to push him to america.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
          I can't help thinking about all the poor guys who must have paddled a thousand miles in some other direction only to die of hunger or thirst.
          Is it bad that this image made me laugh?
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Hence, caveman > astronaut
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
              I'm still blown away by the ancient Tihitians who paddled a thousand miles to discover Hawaii.

Actually they were smarter than that. They could tell that there was land over the horizon from wave patterns and knew there was somewhere to go ahead of them.
              Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Columbus wasn't an ancient mariner. I was thinking more of the ancient Greeks and Romans wo had a tiny square sail and a bunch of guys like Charles Heston rowing with oars.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Being a rower during a Greek sea-battle must've been an awful experience.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Most of them probably weren't Greek or Roman.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Not so

Originally posted by DaShi
                      Most of them probably weren't Greek or Roman.
                      While the Romans used captured slave, the Greeks did not. That job was handled by the citizens of their city states. The Greeks felt the job was too important to be left to slaves (whether foreign or indiginous). In fact, the Athenians held a great state secret in their rowing technique that gave them a big advantage over their rivals at the time.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Didn't know that.

But Greeks still buggered little boys!
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

IIRC the Romans also did *not* use slaves most of the time...?

Edit: I think most "slaves" or prisoners sentenced to rowing duty where used much later, ca. 14-16 century in the Mediterranean
                          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                            Didn't know that.

But Greeks still buggered little boys!
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

So did the Romans.

Face it; Western civilization is founded on pederasty.
                              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                              X