No announcement yet.

Suicides acts of war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep. especially the one who was about to be released had a very perfidious strategy.

First he persuaded the investigators that he had nothing to do with terrorists and then, just as he was going to be released he commited suicide, just to make the US and Guantanamo look bad.
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Which one was about to be released? I honestly don't know anything about these three people but is it possible he feared reprisals for anything he might have said while imprisoned?
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
        Which one was about to be released? I honestly don't know anything about these three people but is it possible he feared reprisals for anything he might have said while imprisoned?
        According to the article linked by colon
        it was the arabian Mani Shaman Turki al-Habardi Al-Utaybi, who was "just" a member of a forbidden saudi militant group.

But obviously they didn´t tell him about his imminent release, as they were still looking for a country to which they could send him.
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

No, really, why? Because they were foreigners picked up in Afghanistan. This argument I can't win.
          They were just visiting relatives in Afghanistan. Yeh...
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

If it's so evident, then 3+ years should have been ample enough time to prove it.
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Don't have to prove it, and likely it would be difficult besides. They were picked up on the battlefield and are being held for safekeeping.
              Last edited by DanS; June 12, 2006, 11:03.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                Don't have to prove it, and likely it would be difficult besides.
                That's kinda that point we're geting at here...
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

And it doesn't matter. I would guess the majority of Americans rightly don't care, so long as these inmates are being treated humanely. There's no existential rights question involved here.
                  Last edited by DanS; June 12, 2006, 11:18.

Comment

And it doesn't matter. I would guess the majority of Americans rightly don't care. There's no existential rights question involved here.
                    I'm sorry, but there is a question of rights, it does matter, and the opinion - or lack there of - of you or the 'majority of americans' has little relevance to whether it is right for a military to arbitrarily imprison anyone it feels like for indefinate periods of time and uncertain reasons.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I really hope your viewpoint doesn't really tally with that of the majority, DanS. But maybe I'm wrong to have faith in the American populace?

Comment

Faith in the American populace to fall for ivory tower bull**** like this? Puhleese...

Comment

Americans are either too decadent to care about justice or too ignorant to know of it.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

They were just visiting relatives in Afghanistan. Yeh...
                            Neat strawman. I asked how many "illegal combatants" there were in the Spanish Civil War. I brought it up for a reason, namely that you had ten-thousands of volunteers from all over Europe, and even the US, joining that war. They were often part of militant communists and fascist organisations, and went through military training. Yet, I doubt it has already occured to anyone that these people should have been labelled as terrorists. I also doubt you'll ever advocate that a man like George Orwell should have been locked-up willy-nilly.
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Faith in the American populace to fall for invory tower bull**** like this? Puhleese...
                              ivory tower bull**** like declaring suicide by a man known to be safe as an act of war, you mean?

Comment

And it doesn't matter. I would guess the majority of Americans rightly don't care, so long as these inmates are being treated humanely. There's no existential rights question involved here.
                                Locking up people without evidence, nor a fair trail is humane? Does not involve any existential rights? Good god, get yourself a crash-course in basic law and ethics.
                                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Working...
                                X