Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally! Google Earth Scanned New Zealand!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a popular myth which was created by settlers in early New Zealand who wanted British sovereignty to be asserted so they could get on the business with getting land, and selling it. The New Zealand Company was notorious for this. De Thierry in fact was completely broke by 1837, three years before the treaty was signed.

Another attempt was made to annex the South Island when a French group bought the Banks Peninsula for 2 cloaks, 6 pairs of trousers, 12 hats, 2 pairs of shoes, some pistols, axes and 2 shirts. However by the time they formalised plans to actually colonise this land, the Ngai Tahu had fully populated it themselves. The key thing is though, the plan was never really backed by the French government with any seriousness for fear of provoking the British.

Despite the fact there was no real French plan to annex the South Island, Wakefield used the private French purchase at Akaroa as evidence of a French plan to annex the South Island. By convincing the Colonial Office that the French were on their way to settle parts of the North Island, the British had little choice but to annex New Zealand and therefore giving Wakefield basic pre-emption over the North Island and Kemp pre-emption over the South.

Any "French Threat" was simply misinformation by the NZ Company and settlers who had other interests.

Comment

Thanks for the historical piece... as for the reason I'm laughing, it's because my brother once tried to get into a club in America with the ID of a New Zealender friend. When the doorman told him he had a French accent, my brother replied that he was from 'French New Zealand' and the guy let him in.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

How come you know so much about NZ History Kalius?

Boris,
        be free

Comment

NZ. Great place.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
          X