Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lorizael
    Its rampant stupidity.
    I know, I rember when I first learned about the US Populist Party. I thought, "these idiots want to intentionally cause hyperinflation just so they can pay off thier loans easier? think about everyone else you hicks!" Populists in general also have a tendecy to be racist, US Populists often ranted on about "evil Jewish bankers."

Comment

I'm still bothered that the Senate is elected by the people. But maybe I'm old fashioned.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I'm somewhat bothered by the existance of the Senate in its present form, but there you go.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Let's stop idiots from voting.
          What?

Comment

Re: Rant: F'king Xenophobics!

Originally posted by Zkribbler
            Beg pardon....but I just have to blow off some steam!

Yesterday, we had elections in California.

Most sitting judges draw no challengers. That's because the only thing that the vast majority people know about judicial races is from the ballot: Name & Occupation. "Judge" usually wins. But I've been told by political experts that anyone wanting to run for judge should run against one with a foreign-sounding name.

Well, yesterday it happened. A lawyer who hasn't practiced law in ten years but instead has been running a bagel store ran against a judge with a foreign name and won! The judge has been rated "extremely well qualified" by the State Bar, while the challenger-- not surprisingly -- has been rated "unqualified."

The challenger was asked by a local newspaper if she chose this judge to run against because she has a foreign-sounding name. The challenger refused to answer.

Although the judge does have the reputation for being unnecessarily nasty on the bench, she's also known to be very smart and hard working. Yet, she's toast.

Dammit, this is America We're supposed to judge people on their merits, not on their nationality or the color of their skin, or on the religion.

I am really discussed by this whole thing.

Why do you hate freedom?
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Re: Re: Rant: F'king Xenophobics!

Originally posted by Sava

Why do you hate freedom?
              Why do you quote long passages and reply with one liners?
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

And really, hasn't "why do you hate freedom" as a witty one-liner jumped the shark already?

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                  And really, hasn't "why do you hate freedom" as a witty one-liner jumped the shark already?

-Arrian
                  That basically sums up the OT as well.

Comment

That's a bit of an own goal, isn't it?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Rant: F'king Xenophobics!

Originally posted by Lorizael

Why do you quote long passages and reply with one liners?

Asshattery... and because it was the post I was responding to.

Originally posted by Arrian

NEVAR!
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Oh, good. I rather like it, actually.

-Arrian

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                            Wait, (court) judges in USA are elected by the general population? How does that work? How long do they hold office?
                            It differs.

In federal court, judges are appointed for life, but have to go through a confirmation process by the Senate.

However, the individual states have their own systems. California elects its judges, kind of.

Terms of trial court judges are for six years. If a judge leaves during those six years, the governor appoints someone to the open spot.

But if there's an open spot at the time of the election, it's put on the ballot. This happens rarely. As an example, Los Angeles County has 400 judges (the largest trial-court system in the world). There were about 4 open seats in this last election.

At the end of a judge's term, if they don't draw an opponent, they are deemed to be re-elected and don't even appear on the ballot. Sometimes one or two will draw a challenger, and then there is an election. The judge almost always wins.

The last time a sitting judge was unseated in an election was twelve years ago.

Comment

Working...
                            X