Rant: Xenophobics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant: Xenophobics!

Beg pardon....but I just have to blow off some steam!

Yesterday, we had elections in California.

Most sitting judges draw no challengers. That's because the only thing that the vast majority people know about judicial races is from the ballot: Name & Occupation. "Judge" usually wins. But I've been told by political experts that anyone wanting to run for judge should run against one with a foreign-sounding name.

Well, yesterday it happened. A lawyer who hasn't practiced law in ten years but instead has been running a bagel store ran against a judge with a foreign name and won! The judge has been rated "extremely well qualified" by the State Bar, while the challenger-- not surprisingly -- has been rated "unqualified."

The challenger was asked by a local newspaper if she chose this judge to run against because she has a foreign-sounding name. The challenger refused to answer.

Although the judge does have the reputation for being unnecessarily nasty on the bench, she's also known to be very smart and hard working. Yet, she's toast.

Dammit, this is America We're supposed to judge people on their merits, not on their nationality or the color of their skin, or on the religion.

I am really discussed by this whole thing.

I am really discussed by this whole thing.
    Let's discuss you further.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalius

Let's discuss you further.
      It's in Webster....it means "far more than just being disgusted" okay??

Comment

If you were to only let the smart people vote...

I don't want to say I told you so.
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

It's in Webster....it means "far more than just being disgusted" okay??
          Oh really?

Comment

Comment

I really dont know why you are surprised at this. In the current climate of "with us or against us", blue-eyed Americans being blown to bits in funny sounding places by people with funny sounding names, the entire world against America essentially and the media essentially seeing the rest of the world as hypocrites, regular dumbass Joe wants to get some retribution for wrongdoings against America and pick on the funny sounding judge.

Comment

Why didn't the cat just change his name the second an anglo challenger appeared?
                Last edited by Darius871; June 8, 2006, 00:13.
                Unbelievable!

Comment

Because that smells like scandal.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Why are judges being elected at all? This is why judges are appointed at a federal level.
                    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
                      Why are judges being elected at all? This is why judges are appointed at a federal level.
                      Because populists a 100 years ago wanted thier tyranny by majority.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                        Because populists a 100 years ago wanted thier tyranny by majority.
                        What do you have against democracy?
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Its rampant stupidity.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

There is that, yes.

Comment

Wait, (court) judges in USA are elected by the general population? How does that work? How long do they hold office?

Comment

Working...
                              X