No announcement yet.

What is asperger's anyway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a guy with Asperger's in my highschool class, very much unaware of "unspoken communication" and very hard to establish more than the most superficial contact. Very into a specific historic subject.
    It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Very into a specific historic subject.

Which one?
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

From the Randians Thread:

Characteristics

The most common and important characteristics of Asperger syndrome can be divided into several broad categories: social impairments, narrow but intense interests, and speech and language peculiarities. Other features are commonly associated with this syndrome but not always held to be necessary for diagnosis. This section reflects mainly Attwood, Gillberg, and Wing's thinking on the most important characteristics of Asperger; the DSM-IV criteria (see below) represent a slightly different view.

Social impairments

Although there is no single feature that all people with Asperger syndrome share, difficulties with social behavior are nearly universal and are perhaps the most important criteria that define the condition. People with Asperger syndrome lack the natural ability to see the subtexts of social interaction (sometimes resulting in well-meaning remarks that may offend and so on, finding it hard to know what is "acceptable") and also tend to lack the ability to broadcast their own emotional state.

Non-autistics, often called neurotypicals, are able to gather a host of information about other people's cognitive and emotional states based on clues gleaned from the environment and the other person's facial expression and body language, but people with Asperger syndrome have an impairment in this ability, sometimes called mind-blindness. To be mind-blind is to find it difficult or even impossible to figure out things a person implies but does not say directly (more colloquially, to "read between the lines"). This is not because they cannot imagine the answer but because they cannot choose between the possibilities; the mind-blind person cannot reliably gather enough information to do so or does not know how to interpret the information that they do gather.

Along with this difficulty in reading the nonverbal communication of others, most people with Asperger's have difficulty expressing their own emotional state via body language, facial expression, and nuances as most people do. Some such people have emotional responses as strong as, or perhaps stronger than, those of most people, although what generates an emotional response might not always be the same; the difficulty is in expressing these feelings, although it sometimes comes across as lacking them. Some make very little eye contact because they find it overwhelming, whereas others have unmodulated, staring eye contact that can cause discomfort to other people. Similarly, the use of gestures may be almost nonexistent or may seem exaggerated and differ from what would normally be considered appropriate for a situation.

It is worth noting that because it is classified as a spectrum disorder, some people with Asperger syndrome are nearly normal in their ability to read and use facial expressions and other subtle forms of communication. However, this ability does not come naturally to most people with Asperger syndrome. Such people must learn social skills intellectually, possibly delaying social development until later in life.

Some people feel that much of the social difficulties in Asperger Syndrome are more accurately characterized as "mutual misunderstanding", in that neither the autistic nor the neurotypical understands each other. Some autistics assert that they have a much easier time reading body language of other autistic people, and that neurotypicals have difficulties interpreting autistic body language. Comparing the nonverbal communication problems that often occur between people from different cultures is a common support given for this theory.

In some cases at least, "lack of social skills" may simply be that Asperger people just do not want to communicate with other people. Even where there is an inability to interpret facial expressions etc., an unwillingness to communicate or interact may be an added factor. This is different from the social avoidance of a specific other person, where there is a conscious unwillingness to communicate because of a wrong inflicted or because of a perceived moral shortcoming of the person shunned. With Aspergers people it is a general unwillingness to communicate with anyone except, perhaps, with a specific individual who is held in high regard.

Narrow, intense interests

Asperger syndrome can involve an intense and obsessive level of focus on things of interest. For example, one person might be obsessed with 1950s professional wrestling, another with national anthems of African dictatorships, or another with building models out of matchsticks. Particularly common interests are means of transport such as trains, computers, math, astronomy, geography, and dinosaurs. Note that all of these last items are normal interests in ordinary children; the difference in Asperger children is the unusual intensity of their interest.

Sometimes these interests are lifelong; in other cases, they change at unpredictable intervals. In either case, there are normally one or two at any given time. In pursuit of these interests, the person with Asperger's often manifests extremely sophisticated reason, an almost obsessive focus, and great memory for apparently trivial facts (occasionally even eidetic memory). Hans Asperger called his young patients "little professors" because he thought his thirteen-year-old patients had as comprehensive and nuanced an understanding of their field of interest as university professors.

Some clinicians would not entirely agree with this description; for example, Wing and Gillberg both argue that there is often more rote memorization than real understanding of these areas of interest, despite occasional appearances to the contrary. However, such a limitation is not required for diagnosis, even under Gillberg's criteria.

Children and adolescents with Asperger syndrome often have little patience for things outside these areas of interest. During the school years, many are perceived as highly intelligent underachievers, clearly capable of outperforming their peers in their field of interest yet persistently unmotivated to do regular homework assignments (sometimes even in their areas of interest). Others, in contrast, may be overachievers who are hypermotivated to outperform peers in school. This adds to the difficulties of diagnosing the syndrome. In more serious cases, the combination of social problems and intense interests can lead to unusual behavior, such as greeting a stranger by launching into a lengthy monologue about a special interest rather than introducing oneself in the socially-accepted way. However, in many cases adults can outgrow this impatience and lack of motivation and develop more tolerance to new activities and meeting new people.

Speech and language peculiarities

People with Asperger syndrome often are noted for having a highly pedantic way of speaking, using language far more formal and structured than the situation normally would be thought to call for. A five-year-old child with this condition may regularly speak in language that could easily have come from a university textbook, especially on his or her special area of interest.

Literal interpretation is another common but not universal hallmark of this condition. Attwood gives the example of a girl with Asperger syndrome who answered the telephone one day and was asked, "Is Paul there?" Although the Paul in question was in the house, he was not in the room with her, so after looking around to ascertain this, she simply said "no" and hung up. The person on the other end had to call back and explain to her that he meant for her to find him and get him to pick up the telephone [5].

Many people with Asperger syndrome also make idiosyncratic use of words, including new coinages and unusual juxtapositions. This can develop into a rare gift for humor (especially puns, wordplay, doggerel, satire) or writing. Another potential source of humor is the eventual realization that their literal interpretations can be used to amuse others. Some are so proficient with written language as to qualify as hyperlexic. Tony Attwood refers to a particular child's skill at inventing expressions, e.g. "tidying down" (the opposite of tidying up) or "broken" (when referring to a baby brother who cannot walk or talk) [6]

Another noted behavioural characteristic that may be present is echolalia, which causes the subject to repeat words, or parts of words, when they speak, like an echo, or palilalia repeating one's own words.[7] Children with Asperger's often display advanced abilities for their age in language, reading, mathematics, spatial skills, or music, sometimes into the 'gifted' range, although as noted above, they may be counterbalanced by appreciable delays in other developmental areas.

Writing peculiarities

A study conducted by Myles et. al. (2003), investigated the written language of children and youth with Aspergers syndrome. They were compared by use of a standardized test of written language skills and overall legibility of handwriting. In written language skills, significant differences were not found between standardized scores of both groups; however, in hand writing skills, the group of individuals with AS produced significantly less legible letters and words than the neurotypical group. Another analysis of written samples found that people with AS appear to be able to write quantitatively similar to their neurotypical peers using grammatical rules but have difficulty producing qualitative writing. The Asperger's person might meet the diagnostic criteria for dysgraphia [8].

Tony Attwood mentions that a teacher may spend considerable time interpreting and correcting the child's indecipherable scrawl. The child is also aware of the poor quality of their handwriting, and may be reluctant to engage in activities that involve extensive writing. Unfortunately for some children and adults, high school teachers and prospective employers consider the neatness of handwriting a measure of intelligence and personality. The person with AS then becomes embarrassed or angry at their inability to write neatly. The child may require assessment by an occupational therapist and remedial exercises, but modern technology can help minimise this problem. A parent or teacher aide could also act as the child's scribe or proofreader to ensure the legibility of the child's written answers or homework.[9]

People with Aspergers are often very skilled at using computers and keyboards. This allows for the child possible special dispensation to type rather than write homework and examinations. The presentation of their work is then comparable to other children.

Emotional peculiarities

A person with Asperger syndrome may have trouble understanding the emotions of other people, and the subtle messages that are sent by facial expression, eye contact and body language are often missed. They also have trouble showing empathy with other people. Because of this, a person with Asperger syndrome might be seen as egotistical, selfish or uncaring. In most cases these are unfair labels, because the affected person is neurologically unable to understand other people's emotional states. They are usually shocked, upset and remorseful when told their actions were hurtful or inappropriate. It is clear that people with Asperger's Syndrome do not lack emotions. However, the concrete nature of attachments they might have (i.e. to objects rather than to people) often seems curious, or even can be cause of concern, to people who do not share their perspective ("Neurotypicals" or NTs).

However, not showing affection (or not doing so in conventional societally-acceptable ways) does not necessarily mean that he or she does not feel it. Understanding this can lead the significant other to feel less rejected and be more understanding. There are usually ways to work around the problems, such as being more explicit about one's needs. For instance, when describing emotions, it can be helpful to be direct and to avoid vague terms such as "upset" when the emotion being described is anger (some individuals with Asperger's would interpret "upset" as mere annoyance, or even nausea). It is often effective to lay out in clear language what the problem is and to ask the partner with Asperger's to describe what emotions are being felt or ask why a certain emotion was being felt. It is very helpful if the family member or significant other reads as much as he or she can about Asperger’s syndrome and any comorbid disorders. In a minority of situations the opposite problem occurs; the person with Asperger's is unusually affectionate to significant others and misses or misinterprets signals from the other partner, causing the partner to get annoyed and leave the person with Asperger syndrome feeling depressed and alone.

Other characteristics

Those affected by Asperger's may also manifest a range of other sensory, developmental, and physiological anomalies. Children with Asperger's may evidence a slight delay in the development of fine motor skills. In some cases (although with many exceptions) people with AS may have an odd way of walking, or display compulsive finger, hand, arm or leg movements.

In general, orderly things appeal to people with Asperger's. Some researchers mention the imposition of rigid routines (on self or others) as a criterion for diagnosing this condition. It appears that changes to their routines cause inordinate levels of anxiety for some people with this condition. [11]

Some people with Asperger's experience varying degrees of sensory overload and are extremely sensitive to touch, smells, sounds, tastes, and sights. They may prefer soft clothing, familiar scents, or certain foods. Some may even be pathologically sensitive to loud noises (as some people with AS have hyperacusis) or strong smells or dislike being touched; for example, certain children with Asperger's exhibit a strong dislike of having their head touched or their hair disturbed while others like to be touched but dislike loud noises. Sensory overload may exacerbate problems faced by such children at school, where levels of noise in the classroom can become intolerable for them. Some are also unable to block out certain repetitive stimuli, such as the constant ticking of a clock. Whereas most children stop registering this sound after a short time and can hear it only if they consciously listen for it, the child with Asperger's can become distracted, agitated, or even (in rare cases if the child has anger problems) violent if the sound is not removed.

Additionally, people with Asperger's exhibiting severe symptoms may frequently be diagnosed with clinical depression, Oppositional defiant disorder, Tourette syndrome, ADHD, General anxiety disorder, Bipolar disorder, Obsessive compulsive disorder, or Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder. There are also people with Asperger's who are also diagnosed with Dysgraphia, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, or Dyscalculia. However, while elements from all of these conditions are associated with Asperger syndrome, the cause is usually Asperger's itself and not a separate condition. While there may be a correlation between them, the disorders are in fact distinct from one another. There is research which indicates people with Asperger's may in fact be far more likely to have the associated conditions, but for now the connection is largely one of resemblance.

There seems to be a strong correlation between those with Asperger syndrome or high-functioning autism (HFA) and the INTP and INTJ types of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) description 1[12] and description 2 [13]. Another theory states that Asperger's correlates to the INTP personality type, whereas high functioning autism correlates to the INFJ personality type.

Comment

Many people with Asperger syndrome also make idiosyncratic use of words, including new coinages and unusual juxtapositions.
          Heh. That's my cousin all right. You know what he's trying to say, but you'd never had said it that way. It's not... wrong necessarily, but clearly odd. He does that all the time.

When he was really young, his initial speech was not in English. It wasn't in some other recognized language, either. He literally invented his own (found English confusing or something), and for a while, my Aunt humored him. It was the first major tipoff.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
            Very into a specific historic subject.

Which one?
            Swedish history, memorizing exact dates and names.
            It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

I wish I was an Aspie, than I would be a lot more 'normal' and 'special'.

Jon Miller
              (instead I am just a weird normal guy)
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Be careful what you wish for.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Indeed.
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I believe I have a mild form of it, too. I have many of the major characteristics just a little, but the thing that really made me believe this was the bit from above (Which I read on wikipedia a while ago), "[they] are also unable to block out certain repetitive stimuli, such as the constant ticking of a clock. "

I personally cannot get to sleep if there's a clock ticking. I'm slightly OCD on other things to, but any time I've stayed at anyone's house I've had to have the clock removed or I've slowly gone insane trying to sleep.

I don't know if the posters here who have met me would agree... I can form social relationships with some people, I'm just very picky. When I worked in a lab for 6 months last year, I just could not bring myself to enjoy the company of any of them, except for a very shy girl (who I thought was hot), and another girl who was a compulsive liar. But then I moved and worked in a hospital ward with lots of students from the uni I was about to join and made a real effort to get on with them and make friends. I have a good number of friends these days, but some of the things I come out with sometimes are insanely stupid- but I usually say them simply because they amuse me, it's not usually by accident.

Then there's the, "Many people with Asperger syndrome also make idiosyncratic use of words, including new coinages and unusual juxtapositions." part; again, I don't know if it applies to me: I just like using fancy or messed-up words sometimes. I said "gooder" completely on purpose to a group of chums on Sunday and they freaked out as if I didn't know the actual word was "better"; and I often use words like, "embellish", because lots of syllables is good.

But who knows. Anyone want to diagnose me?

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                      I have a cousin who has Asbergers. It does seem a lot like "Autism lite."

To oversimplify, he's a few years ahead in math and a few years behind in language skills... and social skills are way behind. If he sees a girl who has nice breasts, it simply does not occur to him that he should not tell her so frankly. He's freaked out at school several times. Exceptions to rules really bother him.

I don't know how well he would function out in the world on his own.

-Arrian
                      you mean you aren't supposed to go up to women and say "nice tits"?

Comment

It's kind of scary when I suffer from some of those symptoms. But one glaring one I do not suffer from is I do not have a narrow interest in any one subject.

Many of you may know I have an interest in a wide variety of subjects, and I'm no expert at any of them (as some of you are nice enough to point out). But I know a little bit about a lot of things. From car maintenance all the way up to astrophysics.

Comment

Originally posted by Footie Mad

Swedish history, memorizing exact dates and names.
                          haha, at least pick something interesting, like german history. .

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                            It's kind of scary when I suffer from some of those symptoms. But one glaring one I do not suffer from is I do not have a narrow interest in any one subject.

Many of you may know I have an interest in a wide variety of subjects, and I'm no expert at any of them (as some of you are nice enough to point out). But I know a little bit about a lot of things. From car maintenance all the way up to astrophysics.
                            Narrow interest in a subject is probably THE defining asperger's trait, though.
                            "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                            "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                            Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

aspergers sounds just like a star sign

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

haha, at least pick something interesting, like german history. .
                                Not French history though, that's just depressing
                                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X