• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning ahead = racist!

Planning ahead is considered racist?

By ANDREW J. COULSON
    GUEST COLUMNIST

Are you salting away a little money for your retirement? Trying to plan for your kids' education? If so, Seattle Public Schools seems to think you're a racist.

According to the district's official Web site, "having a future time orientation" (academese for having long-term goals) is among the "aspects of society that overtly and covertly attribute value and normality to white people and Whiteness, and devalue, stereotype and label people of color."

Huh?

Not all the district's definitions of racism (and there are lots of them) are so cryptic. The site goes on immediately to say, "Emphasizing individualism as opposed to a more collective ideology" is another form of "cultural racism."

Did I mention that the district thinks only whites can be racist in America?

Regardless of your color, your affinity for planning or your penchant for reading "Das Kapital" under Fremont's Lenin statue, does this make any sense to you?

See if this sounds familiar: a government agency redefining a highly charged word to advance a particular ideology. ... Um, note to the Seattle School Board and administration: George Orwell's novel "1984" was a cautionary tale, not a how-to book. And the folks trying to control people's thoughts through state manipulation of the language -- they were the bad guys.

But this is still a free country. Thanks to our (ostensibly racist) regard for individual liberty, Seattle Public Schools board members and officials are free to adopt whatever definitions of racism they choose. It is inherently divisive, however, for an official government school system to promote one ideology over another.

Unfortunately, it is also unavoidable.

Whenever there is a single official school system for which everyone is compelled to pay, it results in endless battles over the content of that schooling. This pattern holds true across nations and across time. Think of our own recurrent battles over school prayer, the Pledge of Allegiance, the teaching of human origins, the selection and banning of textbooks and library books, dress codes, history standards, sex education, etc. Similar battles are fought over wearing Islamic headscarves in French public schools and over the National Curriculum in England.

There is an alternative: cultural détente through school choice.

Historically, societies have suffered far less conflict when families have been able to get the sort of education they deemed best for their own children without having to foist their preferences on their neighbors.

Some people fear that unfettered school choice would Balkanize our nation. Their concern is commendable but precisely backward. The chief source of education-related tensions is not diversity; it is compulsion. Why is there no cultural warfare over the diverse teachings of non-government schools? Because no one is forced to attend or pay for an independent school that violates their convictions.

It would not be difficult to design a school choice program that would ensure universal access to the educational marketplace without forcing anyone to attend or pay for schools whose teachings they opposed. It could be done by combining and expanding some of the education tax credit programs already operating in such places as Pennsylvania, Arizona and Illinois.

Such a system would not be a threat to the ideals of public education. On the contrary, it would be a far more effective means of advancing those ideals than the official state schools that have gnawed at our social fabric -- and failed our most disadvantaged children academically -- for generations.

Under such a choice-based system, those wanting to promote their own cultural and political philosophies could hang out a shingle and offer their services to any and all interested families. But they would lack the power, used and abused in Seattle, to impose their ideologies.

Yeah, saving your money for your kid's education is evil and white! You should be spending your money on crack and booze.
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

That article's author, Andrew Coulson, is Director of the Center for Educational Freedom of the ultra-right-wing Cato Institute. His focus is on privatizing eductation.

I wouldn't trust anything he says as far as I could throw an elephant.

Comment

Well, whether you trust him or not, if anybody can say the following with a straight face and believe it, they're nutters.

"having a future time orientation ... [is one of the] ... aspects of society that overtly and covertly attribute value and normality to white people and Whiteness, and devalue, stereotype and label people of color."

"Emphasizing individualism as opposed to a more collective ideology ... [is] ... cultural racism."
      B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
        That article's author, Andrew Coulson, is Director of the Center for Educational Freedom of the ultra-right-wing Cato Institute. His focus is on privatizing eductation.

... and you wonder why your government(s) are in a shambles, can't get anything done, and so people turn to cowboys who are willing to say 'to hell with you' in the effort to get things done?

Here's a hint, you have to listen to each other. Respond to the ideas instead of sticking your fingers in your ears and saying 'na, na, na, na...'
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I know strange things happens in us, but this board takes one of the big prizes.

Besides he is rigth on the crazyness of this schoolboard, he himself are a bit of a loony with his views on a "free market" schoolsystem.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Why is choosing schools that offer alternatives 'loony'?
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Fine, go to the source. Although they have changed their page after a barrage of criticsm, here is a link to a cached copy.

...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                Why is choosing schools that offer alternatives 'loony'?
                Does religious schools teaching creationism ring a bell ?

I don't mind private schools as long as they diverts on teaching systems etc, but not when it comes to the curriculum.
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

It's a sad fact that some public schools in the US completely fail the majority of their students.

And teaching creationism isn't that bad in camparison to not being able to read or write or do simple mathematics.

Face it, creationism/evolutionism is largely meaningless for most peoples everyday life.

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                    It's a sad fact that some public schools in the US completely fail the majority of their students.

And teaching creationism isn't that bad in camparison to not being able to read or write or do simple mathematics.

Face it, creationism/evolutionism is largely meaningless for most peoples everyday life.

Jon Miller

(I sincerely hope )
                    Attached Files

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

Jon Miller
                      Hey, it's better than having those failing students graduate high school.
                      "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                      "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                      Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Cato Insitute is ultra right wing? BS.. it's libertarian...

And it's right!

(but it has few nuts in it... and Murdoch.. ugh...)
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill3000

Hey, it's better than having those failing students graduate high school.
                          You are misreading me.

Fail means that it doesn't provide them with the skills that one should have after highschool. This has nothing to do with graduating or not (unfortunately).

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Meanwhile, sticking a knife in a guy while yelling 'you die honky pig' is mere cultural expression.

"That article's author, Andrew Coulson, is Director of the Center for Educational Freedom of the ultra-right-wing Cato Institute. His focus is on privatizing eductation."

Zkrib, a right winger crying racism to futher his political goals? WTF?

Man, I really gotta get the hell outa this country.
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

Does religious schools teaching creationism ring a bell ?

I don't mind private schools as long as they diverts on teaching systems etc, but not when it comes to the curriculum.
                              That's why the state sets a curriculum that has to be met.

I don't see a problem with presenting creationism after the curriculum is met. You might be shocked, but Canada has constitutionally mandated Catholic schools systems across the land, funded by the taxpayer. They are actually part of the multicultural landscape (extremely important ones at that).
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                              X