First man on the moon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serb
    And who disclosed that information? No kidding, I'm really curious. I really don't understand how it could have die due to overheating. As I understand, overheating causes burns and burns could be lethal, but if the living creatue died in descent vehicle, because of extremely high temperatures inside (and I think overheating is all about high temperatures), then I don't understand how it reached the surface alive.
    From what I understand, the heating of descent vehicle, when it goes down to the surface, is caused by air friction. So, it takes time to fry its inhabitants alive and it happens when parachute doesn't open. Once again, I may be wrong, but shouldn't it died immmidiently after the landing/imact? And if it survived the landing, doesn't it mean there was no impact and the parachute has opened? In this case, what caused the overheating, which caused death of the dog inside, wasn't the air friction, which overheated the entire vehicle during a free fall. Can you tell me what had happened according to newly disclosed information?
    The russians disclosed it. And Laike never made it back to Earth. She was launched into orbit and died after a few hours.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

For whatever reason Armstrong shies away from publicity and rarely gives interviews on the topic of the moon landings.

Buzz Aldrin is considered a much easier "mark"...

Comment

Originally posted by Zoid

The russians disclosed it. And Laike never made it back to Earth. She was launched into orbit and died after a few hours.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laika
        Humans are ****ers. The more I get to know humans, the more I like dogs.
        Still, your articles don't explain what caused Laika's death. The overheat reason sounds silly to me.

p.s. And sure I confused Laika with Belka and Strelka who came back to the surface, my mistake.
        Last edited by Serb; June 3, 2006, 16:24.

Comment

Woof
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
            Little is ever said about Gagarin, even in Russia. You hear nothing about Laika or Tereshkova as well.
            Tereshkova was a babe, too.
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

The Soviets never questioned any of David Copperfield's flights, as well.
              How would they have been able to expose David Copperfield? What would exposing david copperfield have gained them?

Exposing the apollo missions as fake would have seriously embarrassed their primary geopolitical rival at no cost to themselves. Furthermore even if against all reason they decided to keep knowledge of the whole mission being faked to themselves there would have been official record of the decision which surely would have comee to light by now.

At the very least you need to explain why the soviets would have wanted to keep silent about an obvious space hoax.

Comment

And who disclosed that information? No kidding, I'm really curious. I really don't understand how it could have die due to overheating. As I understand, overheating causes burns and burns could be lethal, but if the living creatue died in descent vehicle, because of extremely high temperatures inside (and I think overheating is all about high temperatures), then I don't understand how it reached the surface alive.
                From what I understand, the heating of descent vehicle, when it goes down to the surface, is caused by air friction. So, it takes time to fry its inhabitants alive and it happens when parachute doesn't open. Once again, I may be wrong, but shouldn't it died immmidiently after the landing/imact? And if it survived the landing, doesn't it mean there was no impact and the parachute has opened? In this case, what caused the overheating, which caused death of the dog inside, wasn't the air friction, which overheated the entire vehicle during a free fall. Can you tell me what had happened according to newly disclosed information?

assuming death was by overheating there is no need to think in such dramatic terms. Pets routinely die of overheating just from idiots leaving them in cars in a hot parking lot. They aren't dramatically burned just dead. Anytime you put something in a little tin can keeping optimal conditions inside can be tricky.

Comment

Are you sure they don't die due to lack of oxygen (CO2 poisoning)?

Comment

Are you sure they don't die due to lack of oxygen (CO2 poisoning)?
                    Ventilation in cars is generally good enough to prevent that. It really is the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

How would they have been able to expose David Copperfield? What would exposing david copperfield have gained them?

Exposing the apollo missions as fake would have seriously embarrassed their primary geopolitical rival at no cost to themselves. Furthermore even if against all reason they decided to keep knowledge of the whole mission being faked to themselves there would have been official record of the decision which surely would have comee to light by now.

At the very least you need to explain why the soviets would have wanted to keep silent about an obvious space hoax.
                      Well, I don't know what to begin with...let it be the word TROLLING. Me was trolling. I'm surprised you took that so seriously.

And if I was on your place, I would also mentioned that astronauts installed some reflectors on the moon surface. It's one of the main proofs that Americans were there.

Comment

Well, I don't know what to begin with...let it be the word TROLLING. Me was trolling. I'm surprised you took that so seriously.

And if I was on your place, I would also mentioned that astronauts installed some reflectors on the moon surface. It's one of the main proofs that Americans were there.
                        I sometimes have more fun feeding the trolls than ignoring them.

Comment

Maybe some passing Vulcanians even paged the owner of that capsule but never reached anyone.

Comment

"The owner of capsule SSSR-blabla is asked to report to the information point immediately. Your dog is not well. Otherwise we will take action and release him into the open... ah, never mind."

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

Ventilation in cars is generally good enough to prevent that. It really is the heat.
                              Thanks. I had no idea that heatstroke is so deadly for dogs.

Comment

Laika: A true Russian hero.
                                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                                2004 Presidential Candidate
                                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                                X