First man on the moon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First man on the moon.

Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon, is still alive, right? How come we never hear of him? He's just kinda disappeared. I don't remember anything about him for as long as I can remember. He might be considered in the ranks of Columbus or Magellan, yet he's almost unknown and uncelebrated. Does anyone else think that's strange?
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

You're a bit tiresome. It's a legitimate and, I think, an interesting question.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Both Columbus and Magellan were uncelebrated in their time as well. Columbus was ridiculed by many and Magellan died enroute. So Armstrong is doing quite well. He just doesn't like alot of attention.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Yeah, I'm the tiresome one.

There's nothing legitimate or interesting about your question at all. Neil Armstrong does not qualify as either unknown or uncelebrated. Should we have hourly news bulletins on him or something?
          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

You missed the book release of his biography last year.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by joncha

There's nothing legitimate or interesting about your question at all. Neil Armstrong does not qualify as either unknown or uncelebrated. Should we have hourly news bulletins on him or something?
              You are not only tiresome, but you lack any sort of intellectual curiosity. You simply cruise around threads, looking for opportunities to take a shot or make a smart remark. Hey, go Whalers!

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

techumseh has maybe half a point.

Given the North American culture of celebrity, you'd think a man like Armstrong would be more front and centre in our collective consciousness.

He most likely would be, if he were the sort to court the paparazzi. I assume he is not.

And you would demand press conferences on the half hour if he played for Hartford.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                  You missed the book release of his biography last year.
                  Did you read it? What did it say about his post lunar life?

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh

You are not only tiresome, but you lack any sort of intellectual curiosity. You simply cruise around threads, looking for opportunities to take a shot or make a smart remark. Hey, go Whalers!
                    Yes but, did you google him before the thread? Or is the thread your google?

Enquiring minds want to know.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

He doesn't have enough intellectual curiosity to use google effectively.

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh

Did you read it? What did it say about his post lunar life?
                        Nope, didn't. Google told me about the book.

Wiki tells me he worked for NASA for a short period, then joined the faculty of a university for 8 years or so. Then he got more involved in business (spokesman for Chrysler? I didn't recall that) served on boards, etc.

Apparently, he is litigeous over the use of his name or image, and that could explain a lower profile than might be expected.

Now I want to read that bio.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

He doesn't have enough intellectual curiosity to use google effectively.
                          Now, now. Don't we have enough feuds? If nothing else, can Asher and I not be a lesson to the younglings?
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

But cruising around threads, taking shots and making smart remarks is so much FUN.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

Yes but, did you google him before the thread? Or is the thread your google?

Enquiring minds want to know.
                              I did look him up in the Wikipedia. It doesn't really deal with the reasons for his low profile.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Working...
                              X