X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serb
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know I'm nuts.
    We know.

Did you see earlier in the thread where I actually recognized the accomplishments of three cosmonauts?
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
      i think the assumption is that a public figure generates a different kind of chatter when alive than when dead and it is this living celeb sort of chatter that techumseh is noticing the relative absence of.
      Tereshkova is still alive. Laika, sadly, died in flight.
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

All I care is The third man on the moon
        I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278

Tereshkova is still alive. Laika, sadly, died in flight.
          Laika died in flight? It's news to me. I've always thought it was a successful launch.

p.s. As for earlier question - no, I didn't read the entire thread (just hit and run ).

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

Soviet dishes tracked the lunar mission tranmissions all the way from low earth orbit to stationary transmissions from the lunar surface and all the way back to earth. They didn't challenege the legitmacy of the landings because they saw for themselves that the landings were real.
            The Soviets never questioned any of David Copperfield's flights, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Serb

Laika died in flight? It's news to me. I've always thought it was a successful launch.
              It was, sort of. She survived several hours after the launch, but then died due to stress and overheating. This was not disclosed until 2002 though.
              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

And who disclosed that information? No kidding, I'm really curious. I really don't understand how it could have die due to overheating. As I understand, overheating causes burns and burns could be lethal, but if the living creatue died in descent vehicle, because of extremely high temperatures inside (and I think overheating is all about high temperatures), then I don't understand how it reached the surface alive.
                From what I understand, the heating of descent vehicle, when it goes down to the surface, is caused by air friction. So, it takes time to fry its inhabitants alive and it happens when parachute doesn't open. Once again, I may be wrong, but shouldn't it died immmidiently after the landing/imact? And if it survived the landing, doesn't it mean there was no impact and the parachute has opened? In this case, what caused the overheating, which caused death of the dog inside, wasn't the air friction, which overheated the entire vehicle during a free fall. Can you tell me what had happened according to newly disclosed information?
                Last edited by Serb; June 3, 2006, 09:14.

Comment

No one is a hero until they die, to the full extent.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Neil Armstrong doesn't like to talk about himself. In fact, at a commencement speech last year he only spoke of the good in the world people could achieve. He's humble, and doesn't want to become some sort of icon. Neil's a good guy.

Comment

Re: First man on the moon.

Originally posted by techumseh
                      Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon, is still alive, right? How come we never hear of him? He's just kinda disappeared. I don't remember anything about him for as long as I can remember. He might be considered in the ranks of Columbus or Magellan, yet he's almost unknown and uncelebrated. Does anyone else think that's strange?

The landing on the moon never happened. It was all a smoke-and-mirrors illusion created by our government.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

It was created by Stanley Kubrick, to be precise.

Comment

Lay off the hallucinagentics, guys. Damn.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Though, you chose the wrong persons to agitate for that.
                            A hallucinogen is the substance which make you think you can see a man on the Moon/you can fly/whatever, not the opposite.

Comment

True.

Comment

Re: First man on the moon.

Originally posted by techumseh
                                Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon, is still alive, right? How come we never hear of him? He's just kinda disappeared. I don't remember anything about him for as long as I can remember. He might be considered in the ranks of Columbus or Magellan, yet he's almost unknown and uncelebrated. Does anyone else think that's strange?
                                The question is good. The reality is not strange.

Apollo was a tremendous drain on the resources of our country and much of what was done was essentially thrown away in the mid-70s. The German rocketeers were retired. Small minded, but still unsustainably expensive notions like the Space Shuttle were funded instead.

We are living with the aftermath to this day. Attitudes are changing, however. I expect Armstrong's reputation to see better days.

As for Gagarin, I was not taught his name in school. Sad, but true.
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                                X