No announcement yet.

First man on the moon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have to pick up the book, but I can understand someone wanting to shield their personal life from the glare.

Some people are intensely private.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
      Both Columbus and Magellan were uncelebrated in their time as well. Columbus was ridiculed by many and Magellan died enroute. So Armstrong is doing quite well. He just doesn't like alot of attention.
      That may be true. Still, being the first human to set foot on a planetary body other than the earth, is quite the accomplishment. I find it interesting that the names of James T. Kirk and Jean Luc Picard are far better known than those of Neil Armstrong or Yuri Gagarin.
      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Little is ever said about Gagarin, even in Russia. You hear nothing about Laika or Tereshkova as well.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Even assuming that being first is a tremendous distinction despite 99.9999% of the effort and credit of being first belonging to others and despite being first being the result of a more or less arbitrary selection process from among several essentially equally qualified individuals I'd still say a better question is "How come we never hear of Buzz Aldrin?".

After all neither man actually stepped out barefoot onto the lunar surface. Essentially both of them can be considered to have set foot on the moon the moment the module rested on it's surface. At that point they were standing on another world just as surely as we would still be standing on the earth if we built a house out of moon rocks and moon alloys on the earth and then stood in its living room.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
            Little is ever said about Gagarin, even in Russia. You hear nothing about Laika or Tereshkova as well.
            i think the assumption is that a public figure generates a different kind of chatter when alive than when dead and it is this living celeb sort of chatter that techumseh is noticing the relative absence of.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
              Even assuming that being first is a tremendous distinction despite 99.9999% of the effort and credit of being first belongs to others and despite being first being the result of a more or less arbitrary selection process from among several essentially equally qualified individuals I'd still say a better question is "How come we never hear of Buzz Aldrin?".

After all neither man actually stepped out barefoot onto the lunar surface. Essentially both of them can be considered to have set foot on the moon the moment the module rested on it's surface. At that point they were standing on another world just as surely as we would still be standing on the earth if we built a house out of moon rocks and moon alloys on the earth and then stood in its living room.
              Okay.
              Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh

That may be true. Still, being the first human to set foot on a planetary body other than the earth, is quite the accomplishment. I find it interesting that the names of James T. Kirk and Jean Luc Picard are far better known than those of Neil Armstrong or Yuri Gagarin.
                Yuri is less well known in north america simply as a result of not being a north american. I don't doubt he's at least as well known as the two fictional captains you name in other places.

Furthermore I'd say Neil armstrong definately has better name recognition everywhere than either captain (especially Jean Luc Picard who hasn't achieved the iconic status of 'kirk') simply because it's a certainty that 100% of star trek fans have heard of neil armstrong while not everyone who has heard of neil armstrong will be able to name *any* star trek characters.

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh

Okay.
                  you don't see my reasoning?

They were walking around in space suits that were practically little spaceships. How much distinction did it really make when they descended that little ladder from when they were standing at the top? They had both already arived at the moon and stood supported by an alien planetary body. Neil armstong should simply get the distinction of being first in line to get a better look around.
                  Last edited by Geronimo; June 3, 2006, 03:49.

Comment

Furthermore I'd say Neil armstrong definately has better name recognition everywhere than either captain (especially Jean Luc Picard who hasn't achieved the iconic status of 'kirk') simply because it's a certainty that 100% of star trek fans have heard of neil armstrong while not everyone who has heard of neil armstrong will be able to name *any* star trek characters.
                    I wouldn't take that to the bank.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

I wouldn't take that to the bank.
                      I'll bet it's close to true though. I'd be surprised if more than 5% of star trek fans don't know of astronaut neil armstrong.

I'd not be at all surprised if at least 5% maybe more of the general populace would not be able to say who James Kirk is much less say who jean luc picard is.

The publics stupidity is legendary but really start trek isn't *that* popular.

Comment

What do you guys want? Yes yes old man, you went to the moon. Big deal. I've come victorious in street fighting. So when you start babbling about stars and space like a big nerd, you still get beaten and left in the gutter. So they are not special at all anyway and I don't see how anyone cares.
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                          What do you guys want? Yes yes old man, you went to the moon. Big deal. I've come victorious in street fighting. So when you start babbling about stars and space like a big nerd, you still get beaten and left in the gutter. So they are not special at all anyway and I don't see how anyone cares.
                          In general do you see how any one cares about anything at all that you don't care about?

Comment

I'll bet it's close to true though. I'd be surprised if more than 5% of star trek fans don't know of astronaut neil armstrong.

I'd not be at all surprised if at least 5% maybe more of the general populace would not be able to say who James Kirk is much less say who jean luc picard is.

The publics stupidity is legendary but really start trek isn't *that* popular.
                            My problem is not with your estimations of recognition of JT Kirk. It is with knowledge of Armstrong.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

Geronimo, yes. It's a subjective matter after all. But about this moon man? Who cares. He flew far away in a tin can. And probably is a wife beater.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

My problem is not with your estimations of recognition of JT Kirk. It is with knowledge of Armstrong.
                                I assume we are both making an instinctive guess. It would be interesting to see an actual poll but that would probably require tracking down the results some test of public history knowledge and most of those are probably years old by now reflecting a slightly different population.

It sure feels like if I asked people who the first man on the moon it would take a while to find someone who wouldn't answer Neil armstrong unless they thought it was some weird trick question or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X