Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the bird flu wiped out 7 out of 8 people worldwide...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was listening to one of the talk raido shows the other day and they were talking about the Bird Flu like it was going to be some type of epidemic that was going to hit and last for 5 years and take out millions of people. Is it really that much of a threat or was that, as I assumed, just a bunch of hooooie?
    Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
    Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
    Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
    You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

It's like the Earth being hit by a giant comet.

It'll be very bad if it happens, but it probably won't happen.

Bu scaring people with wild stories is a good way to get them to stay tuned to a pseudo-newscast.

"If you want people to buy your newspapers today, tell a lie.
      If you want them to buy them tomorrow, tell the truth."
      ...Clark Gable in Teacher's Pet

Comment

How the hell would a virus with a mortality rate of ~50% kill 7/8's of the world's population?

Comment

The new math.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
            It's like the Earth being hit by a giant comet.

It'll be very bad if it happens, but it probably won't happen.

Bu scaring people with wild stories is a good way to get them to stay tuned to a pseudo-newscast.

"If you want people to buy your newspapers today, tell a lie.
            If you want them to buy them tomorrow, tell the truth."
            ...Clark Gable in Teacher's Pet

Hoooooie just like I thought.
            Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
            Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
            Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
            You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
              How the hell would a virus with a mortality rate of ~50% kill 7/8's of the world's population?
              Mutation.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiamat

Hoooooie just like I thought.
                Not necassarily.
                The Influenza Pandemic of 1918
                The world is more densely populated today, with more people living closer to each other, and with travel that much easier. Many more people are incapable of feeding themselves, instead relying on the labour of others and transportation systems for the basic goods of survival.

What happens when societies are wracked by contagion and production and transportation systems break down or are interrupted for lengthy periods of time?

The number of dead from collateral effects could quite easily eclipse the number of direct victims of the disease, in a severe outbreak.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Re: If the bird flu wiped out 7 out of 8 people worldwide...

Originally posted by Lancer
                  What organized systems would remain? Would everything go along the way it does now, governments, military, the economy, religion, but with only 1/8th the people?
                  I'm pessimistic. I believe society, in at least the form we know, would collapse. There would be a collapse of industry, agriculture and distribution networks. Democracy might prove a hindrance in minimizing the impact of the secondary effects, as a tightly controlled police state could prove more effective in maintaining law and order and allocating resources.
                  STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                    Mutation.
                    Viruses as a rule do not become more deadly with evolution.

Comment

Wouldnt countries like australia, argentina, new zealand, with relatively small populations for their territory, who produce enough food to feed many times their population have an advantage?
                      I need a foot massage

Comment

Not necassarily.
                        The Influenza Pandemic of 1918
                        The world is more densely populated today, with more people living closer to each other, and with travel that much easier. Many more people are incapable of feeding themselves, instead relying on the labour of others and transportation systems for the basic goods of survival.
                        Counting that, at least here, is a far better understanding of what we could be up against and far superior medical technology/technique. A lot has changed for the better (in this context) since 1918 too.

In the 3rd world... I dunno.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Labour shortages -> higher wages and/or fewer old people -> less healthcare and pension costs. Let the good times roll!
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

What is Tamiflu?

One effect would be housing. I'd guess that people would end up moving to areas where services were still available. Power companies would have to cut services to many areas because maintaining the amount of lines we have now would be prohibitive in terms of labor and cost. So some areas would return to wilderness while others would repopulate.
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Viruses as a rule do not become more deadly with evolution.
                              The flu has already demonstrated an ability to do so.

Originally posted by Arrian

Counting that, at least here, is a far better understanding of what we could be up against and far superior medical technology/technique. A lot has changed for the better (in this context) since 1918 too.

In the 3rd world... I dunno.

-Arrian
                              I'd like to think so, but modern medicine can't really do much for the flu, can they?

After reading a bit on the 1918 bug, it spread very rapidly and reproduced itself in the infected in massive numbers compared to a 'normal' bug. Those who died literally drowned in the bug and the effect on the lungs shortly after contracting it.

DocStranglove might correct me, but I don't see what our medical systems could do other than vaccinate to help prevent getting it in the first place.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

I think it would impact shoes salemen. It's a tough life as it is. Now, an 1/8 of the people. Only the strong will survive that, for sure.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X