Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should revolutions be considered a normal economic event?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should revolutions be considered a normal economic event?

Do the rich always become so rich that they get their heads lopped off? Do the downtrodden always end up so trodden upon that they express their displeasure by lopping off the heads of the rich? Do the commies always figure that they can suppress the masses because of this inevitable cycle, assuming it is inevitable? Will Batman ever escape from the usual diabolicle trap he's ensnared in?

Is Robin gay?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Re: Should revolutions be considered a normal economic event?

Originally posted by Lancer
    Do the rich always become so rich that they get their heads lopped off? Do the downtrodden always end up so trodden upon that they express their displeasure by lopping off the heads of the rich? Do the commies always figure that they can suppress the masses because of this inevitable cycle, assuming it is inevitable? Will Batman ever escape from the usual diabolicle trap he's ensnared in?

Is Robin gay?
    Robin is gay. The evidence is simply too massive on that.
    And Batman will always escape, to be back at the same Bat channel, same Bat time.

As for the more interesting question:NO, revolution is not inevitable. The solution is creating a legitimacy for the difference, creating an idea in people that difference in wealth is right, and moral, and that disagreeing with it unnatural, immoral.

All systems work on consent. ALL SYSTEMS. If in a dictatorship no one listened to the dictator, they would have no power, period. Any system gets its power because a significant number of people believe they will actively benefit and thus work for the system and in the system, and the majority accept their fate as either the way things are, or think it too bothersome to cfhange it.

That is the reason revolution is rare. Let me add that a coup or a change of regime does not equal a revolution. If the government keeps changing but the same group of people remain rich, that is not really a revolution.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

There is no end to greed though, nor is there an end to people as long as the population keeps growing. That combination means less for the people and more for the greedy, yes? Until the disparity becomes too great, the greed to much and the screwed too poor, and the revolution sweeps all away to start again with the leaders of the revolution oppressing the people, getting rich, etc...

Comment

There is no end to greed though, nor is there an end to people as long as the population keeps growing. That combination means less for the people and more for the greedy, yes? Until the disparity becomes too great, the greed to much and the screwed too poor, and the revolution sweeps all away to start again with the leaders of the revolution oppressing the people, getting rich, etc...
        I don;t think "greed" runs the system. A few people are genuinely greedy. Most people want status, and as far as wealth gives them status, they seek wealth. But there are other measures of status that can substitute for wealth.

As for population growth, if things are so malthusian, those n power could always start wars with others in power to cull the herd a bit.
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

No.

(to the OPQ)
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Doesn't the earth complete a revolution once a year?
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Re: Re: Should revolutions be considered a normal economic event?

Originally posted by GePap
              All systems work on consent. ALL SYSTEMS. If in a dictatorship no one listened to the dictator, they would have no power, period. Any system gets its power because a significant number of people believe they will actively benefit and thus work for the system and in the system, and the majority accept their fate as either the way things are, or think it too bothersome to change it.
              But that assumes a dictator does more talking than shooting...
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                Doesn't the earth complete a revolution once a year?
                Actually, no. I believe that it completes a calendar year just slightly sooner than a physical revolution. I didn't read through all this, but here's the Wiki on the subject.
                The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

And Batman will always escape, to be back at the same Bat channel, same Bat time.

As for the more interesting question:NO, revolution is not inevitable. The solution is creating a legitimacy for the difference, creating an idea in people that difference in wealth is right, and moral, and that disagreeing with it unnatural, immoral.

All systems work on consent. ALL SYSTEMS. If in a dictatorship no one listened to the dictator, they would have no power, period. Any system gets its power because a significant number of people believe they will actively benefit and thus work for the system and in the system, and the majority accept their fate as either the way things are, or think it too bothersome to cfhange it.

That is the reason revolution is rare. Let me add that a coup or a change of regime does not equal a revolution. If the government keeps changing but the same group of people remain rich, that is not really a revolution.
                  Who are you, and what did you do with GePap?
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Re: Should revolutions be considered a normal economic event?

Is Robin gay?
                    I asked myself the same question just last night (the above question!).
                    I came to think of it because watching how - surely among other reasons under the globalization pressure and not only the moral category of "greed" - the elites almost systematically destroy the fundaments of employee protection etc.
                    A friend of mine works for the Catholic Church on "working contract" basis, which in so many fields has completely substituted the regular employee-employer relation. And what's worse, they won't let him actually sign the contract (sic!) because they even want to be more free to fire him whenever they feel like it. ("There's many historians of art out there who'd be willing to take your job").

To me it seems that lacking the fear of Communism as a rival system makes capitalism revert to 19th century methods. It's not inevitable but if there's no convincing democratically sustainable counter-movement, I nfear society spirals down and one day, masses of working poor will flock to revolutionary movements (whether genuinely left or the left-right cocktail of fascist movements) and then: heads off.
                    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

And the fact that they are invulnerable to guns and bombs as well? You really should think through your position a little better my friend...
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Yes, there definitely needs to be a better balance of forces...otherwise this division is going to worsen and the worker is going to find himself with less, financially and in terms of employee rights...
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

"The spirit of the times may alter, will alter. Our rulers will become corrupt, our people careless. A single zealot may become persecutor, and better men be his victims. It can never be too often repeated that the time for fixing every essential right, on a legal basis, is while our rulers are honest, ourselves united. From the conclusion of this war we shall be going downhill. It will not then be neccesary to resort every moment to the people for support. They will be forgotten, therefore, and their rights disregarded. They will forget themselves in the sole faculty of making money, and will never think of uniting to effect a due respect for their rights. The shackles, therefore, which shall not be knocked off at the conclusion of this war, will be heavier and heavier, till our rights shall revive or expire in a convulsion."

"God forbid that we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion! [Shays' rebelion]... What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take up arms... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."

- Thomas Jefferson
                          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

-Robin- is gay? What about Batman's nipple costume? If that doesn't scream "in the closet" I don't know what does.
                            "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

"I asked myself the same question just last night (the above question!).
                              I came to think of it because watching how - surely among other reasons under the globalization pressure and not only the moral category of "greed" - the elites almost systematically destroy the fundaments of employee protection etc.
                              A friend of mine works for the Catholic Church on "working contract" basis, which in so many fields has completely substituted the regular employee-employer relation. And what's worse, they won't let him actually sign the contract (sic!) because they even want to be more free to fire him whenever they feel like it. ("There's many historians of art out there who'd be willing to take your job")."

Wernazuma III, it's actually state law in Oregon that an employer can fire an employee at will as long as the employer breaks no law in the process, such as discrimination laws.

Employee rights are all going the way of the dinsaur in the honorable name of competition. If they pay their workers $3 a day, how can we compete? We have to cut pay or close the plant. Yet, they aren't selling whatever they are making to the poor bastard making $3 a day. By screwing over the middle class the upper classes are destroying the market for their goods. At the same time, the top brass seem to constantly be voting themselves new percs.

It all seems very short sighted and bottom lineish.

Heads will roll!

"Yes, there definitely needs to be a better balance of forces...otherwise this division is going to worsen and the worker is going to find himself with less, financially and in terms of employee rights..."

Provost, 'better balance of forces' can stand the test of time? After heads roll, what better system could be put in place?

General Ludd...what an excellent quote to have on tap, well done! ...

"The spirit of the times may alter, will alter. Our rulers will become corrupt, our people careless. A single zealot may become persecutor, and better men be his victims. It can never be too often repeated that the time for fixing every essential right, on a legal basis, is while our rulers are honest, ourselves united. From the conclusion of this war we shall be going downhill. It will not then be neccesary to resort every moment to the people for support. They will be forgotten, therefore, and their rights disregarded. They will forget themselves in the sole faculty of making money, and will never think of uniting to effect a due respect for their rights. The shackles, therefore, which shall not be knocked off at the conclusion of this war, will be heavier and heavier, till our rights shall revive or expire in a convulsion."

"God forbid that we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion! [Shays' rebelion]... What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take up arms... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."

- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                              X