X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smear the monkey with peanut butter!
    Monkey!!!

Comment

If the house was vacant, I promise you there are mice nests in the house. Check under the stove. That seems to be popular. Most likely, though, the nests are in the walls. If you use poison, you'll have rotting mice in the walls, and the smell will be worse than the mice. If you use traps, the process could take a while.

My best bet for you is a mixture of traps (the killing kind) and a couple cats. These mice you have see themselves as "cohabitating" in that space now, so they ain't leaving. I've also read about some products that emit a high-pitched noise that drives mice away. Throw that in with the mix of traps and cats.
      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

P.S. Play Britney Spears music. Even if the mice don't leave, you certainly will.
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
          Set SNAP, mouse traps. DO NOT poison. Last thing you want is mice crawling in the walls, dying, and decomposing.
          Snap traps: Good. baited with peanut butter, which glues on something else...like a small piece of fruit or a small piece of dry dog food.

Trapping rodents live then you have to either release them smack them in the head with something or toss them in the trash and let them die of starvation and dehydration.

Oh yeah--check around your house to see how they're getting in and plug up that hole!!

Comment

If you let a cat do the dirty work, don't feed it while you have mice. A full cat doesn't eat mice, it just plays with them, bites them and lets them escape and you have bleeding and rotting mice under your sofa. Its the same as with poison (Sloww is right here).

Snap traps are cruel, because most don't break the mouse's neck and the mouse actually suffocates, frantically kicking around, jumping with her head in the trap and making scary noises. I saw that one day, not a pleasant view. It lasted over ten minutes. Unfortunately my wife saw it too and pitied the mouse, so I had to kill it with a hammer (not before I put it along with the trap in a plastic bag, though ). But on the long run, snap traps are still the best solution.

Comment

Anyone here ever had a cat present a mouse to you as a trophy?

Comment

my cats use to catch stuff and leave it on the back porch

if it was dark and I didn't bother looking the dog would get it, and then come back in and take it to bed

nothing like waking up to half a bird on your pillow
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Oh and by the way, don't bait it with cheese or bacon. Peanut butter works great. I take hazelnut spread and it works a charm.

Comment

Adult cat's always seem to get rid of mice eventually. Feeding the cat less often is good but don't starve it or it may actually become less effective.

And don't use the poison. It's an easy way to get your dog sick even if you put the posion someplace your dog will never get to it.

Comment

I too suggest a cat. A cat in the house will deter mice to some extent as well (after the existing 'squatters' are dealt with).

Originally posted by Geronimo
                      And don't use the poison. It's an easy way to get your dog sick even if you put the posion someplace your dog will never get to it.
                      Excellent point I was waiting to see. Same principle applies to the snap traps. Be careful where you put them.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Anyone know how to get rid of mice?

I don't know why anybody would want to, but I suppose you would have to somehow convince mush to bring back mowell. Or maybe promote mumsfeld.

Comment

My cats are bringing us small lizards as trophies
                          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I don't have a cat myself (I hate them), and neither do I have a dog, so what I know about them is hearsay from a friend, who has 2 of them. He said, if a cat likes to catch mice and there's nothing to do in the house, they catch them outside and bring them home. Either to present them as trophy or even they let them live and play with them, and let them eventually escape. He said, his cats (or rather, his wife's cats) actually brought him mice into the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                              I don't have a cat myself (I hate them), and neither do I have a dog, so what I know about them is hearsay from a friend, who has 2 of them. He said, if a cat likes to catch mice and there's nothing to do in the house, they catch them outside and bring them home. Either to present them as trophy or even they let them live and play with them, and let them eventually escape. He said, his cats (or rather, his wife's cats) actually brought him mice into the house.
                              the poor critters never get established that way. they are either killed outright by the cat or are too stressed by the experience to establish themselves.

A mouser cat should probably be an indoor cat anyway.

Comment

you go to your local store and buy mouse traps.

I got this sticky paper stuff. basically the mouse sticks to the paper.

though don't forget about it like I did, and 3 months later you see a really disgusting decomposing mouse stuck to the paper- with maggots crawling inside of it. That was not a pretty site.

I admit I'm kind of grossed out by mice too. As a man I'm not supposed to. If I ever move in with my girlfriend I'll have to pretend I'm not disgusted by them. The biggest problem is when you catch one, getting rid of them. But that's where a dustpan works wonder. You don't actually have to touch it.

Comment

Working...
                                X