Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cigarette Smoking saves health care dollars!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you will sign up to spend the last ~10 yrs dragging an oxygen tank around behind you?

-Arrian (recently quit)
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Signed
      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

chicks dig men with oxygen tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
          Signed

What?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Viking
            I would be very, very surprised if the one year death cost of the 60 year-old were more than the 20 years of health cost for someone 60 to 80, plus the one-year death cost of whatever they die from.

I hadn't even considered the cost savings of lowered obesity in the equation.

So I'm pretty sure smoking saves money straight up.

The you have the huge bonus of tax revenues.

And as you reduce tobacco use, you have ongoing transitional costs for farmers and the tobacco industry workers moving to new lines of work.
            It's idiotic to consider "tax revenues" and continued employment of tobacco farmers a benefit of smoking. Those are bad things; making them unemployed would free up labor that could be devoted to other tasks.

Comment

If you are healthy, you can be active and doing things into your 80s.

JM
              (a professor that I TAed for recently celebrated 50 years of being a professor)
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Lung cancer, like any cancer, costs a bunch of money.

If you want to die young, just commit suicide. It's cleaner, cheaper, and much more pleasant
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

But it can be such a bloody mess.
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Re: Cigarette Smoking saves health care dollars!

Originally posted by The Mad Viking
                    Here's the logic.

Everybody dies.

Cigarrettes make you die SOONER.

The leading cause of health care expense is the elderly.

If the elderly all died of lung cancer or heart disease by age 70, it would seem to me likely that this would save a lot of money.
                    Probably not. Cigarettes make you die sooner, sure, but from nasty diseases and disorders. You know, disorders that cost an arm and a leg to treat, and they die an agonising death anyway.

Ick.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                      But it can be such a bloody mess.
                      Self-poisoning ftw
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Faster than wheelbarrows?
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Mad Viking, you're not the first to ask this question. I've read some estimates somewhere, I think someone did a paper on the subject, but I can't remember what was the conclusion.

Comment

Mad Viking is correct, and those who think otherwise are wrong. It saves a buttload of money, and not just health care dollars. Much more is saved by not having to pay government pensions etc. Remember that besides being the wealthiest age group, the elderly are also the most subsidized by the government. Talk about the rich getting richer!
                            He's got the Midas touch.
                            But he touched it too much!
                            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

He's correct that is saves money, but he's still an idiot. If we're going to do this, we might as well just shoot old people - that would save a lot more money.

Comment

So basically to save health care dollars, anyone that smokes shouldn't seek medical help for illness or diseases brought on by cigarette smoking.

What about the people that get illness or diseases from second hand smoke? Are they supposed to deny themself medical treatment too? We are talkin about saving health care dollars here!

This is the theme of your thread isn't it?

Lets make everyone suffer because of cigarette smoking. When I light up I'm risking my own health. But I certainly don't inflict the one's around me with the poisons.
                                One thing you gotta ask yourself... where are you now? -- James Blunt lyrics

Comment

Working...
                                X