No announcement yet.

Zimbabwe out of money to print money...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason it can't get foreign currency is because it's propping up the exchange rate. Nobody's going to buy from them when they can buy on the street.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Everyone has known Mugabe was an asshat since atleast the late 1980's. He's progressively gotten worse and more dictatorial and his economic policies have become worse and worse the more dictatorial he has gotten. Sadly, this will give the racists much fotter since under white minority rule Zimbabwe was the second richest country in sub-Saharan Africa (after South Africa) but Mugabe has been a dictator who has run the country into the ground. It's a pretty typical story from post-colonial Africa.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I'm ashamed to say I gave favorable speeches about Mugabe in early 1980.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
          This is further proof of the old saying, It takes money to make money.

Good one!
          He's got the Midas touch.
          But he touched it too much!
          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

It should have been obvious what kind of man he was when he sicced his N.Korean trained troops on his former allies soon after he took power. But people were so thrilled by the end white rule that they looked the other way.

Comment

Yeah, but Nkomo was actually worse (at the time).
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
              2004 Presidential Candidate
              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

In other news, over 4 MILLION PEOPLE have died in fighting in the Congo, the most of ANY conflict since World War 2. While hostilities have "officialy" ceased, war rages on in the provinces.

Once again, Africa gets ****ed over and the West doesn't give a damn, prefering to chase after oil dictators
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Mugabe is not only persecuting the old Rhodesian whiites...who are by now sadly virtually eliminated...he has been turning most of his bile on his own black people for a long long time now. There just aren't enough whites to ***** about left, so the new Enemies of the State are the poor (i.e. everyone outside the army and Mugabe's version of the brownshirts, the 'Green Bombers').

The MDC, the non-racist majority black opposition opposition party, is virtually castrated at this point.

The blame game: Squarely at the feet of the South African government of Thabo Mbeki, who tacitly approved of farm invasion murders for years and who could've been a tremendous opponent of mugabe and MDC supporter....but it seems he finds little to complain about his former Marxist comrade.
                  "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                  "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                  "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Zimbabwe demolition images shown
                    Amnesty International has released images showing the destruction caused in Zimbabwe by the government's policy of house demolitions in 2005.

The satellite images show the destruction of one settlement near Harare, which had contained some 850 structures before last May.

The human rights group says the photos are irrefutable evidence of how entire communities were obliterated.

The UN says some 700,000 people were directly affected by the demolitions.

The Zimbabwean government launched Operation Murambatsvina (Remove the filth), saying it wanted to eliminate illegal structures.

In reality, legal structures were also destroyed, and people were left in the open or trucked to rural villages. 'Horrifying transition'

Amnesty commissioned the satellite images to demonstrate the complete destruction of one particular area, Porta Farm, a large informal settlement some 20km (12 miles) west of the capital, Harare.

It also showed detailed video footage showing the forced evictions and destruction in June.

Porta Farm was established 16 years ago and contained about 850 structures, including schools, a children's centre and a mosque.

Amnesty says that last June, in the middle of winter, armed police arrived with bulldozers.

Porta Farm - which had been home to up to 20,000 people - was destroyed and the residents evicted.

Amnesty says that the images - taken last month - show the horrifying transition of an area from a vibrant community to rubble and shrubs in the space of less than a year.

"These satellite images are irrefutable evidence... that the Zimbabwean government has obliterated entire communities, completely erased them from the map, as if they never existed," Amnesty's Africa Programme director Kolawole Olaniyan said.
                    Story from BBC NEWS:
                    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Published: 2006/05/31 03:13:04 GMT

© BBC MMVI
                    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

It might be my imagination, but I believe Ted is arguing for conscription or something?

I mean I don't see where else 'the West' is going to get the soldiers to chase around endlessly afrer bandits and insurgents in the jungles of the Congo for the next 20 years, getting hacked up by machetes at night and dealing with all the fun of 'jungle rot'...lead the charge Ted! I'm sure a lot of charities need volunteers for all kinds of operations, including security.

Maybe the US can just randomly throw a few million dollar submarine launched cruise missiles at bandit outhouses until consciences have been assauged?

LOL all I'm saying is that there really doesn't seem to be many viable options. I suggest we continue to do what we have been doing: allow aid into the country, support anything that looks vaguely stable or democratic, and make damn sure we don't make the mistake of acting like paternalistic idiots thinking we can 'fix' another mans country.

What do you suggest they do Ted?
                      "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

for one, stop selling arms and ammunition the the f*ckers...

in ten years they'll be fighting with knives and rocks again. a lot less efficient...
                        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

I'd say we should let the Brits run it for another 150 years.
                          Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                          Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                          Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis
                            for one, stop selling arms and ammunition the the f*ckers...

in ten years they'll be fighting with knives and rocks again. a lot less efficient...
                            I wasn't aware that the west was selling a lot of weapons to the fighting parties in Congo. It looks like a lot of old Soviet equipment to me, readily available on the African arms market and not the sort of thing likely to make a profit for western countries.

Comment

Yeah, I just don't see the US, france or england shipping loads of rpgs and ak-47s to africa...

unless you're talking about some kind of interdiction...which is impossible in the case of the Congo....what're you going to do, randomly bomb bits of jungle you suspect are arms smuggling routes forever?

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢

Sounds pretty bad. From what I can tell, there have been allegations of this sort of thing for a while.

Note that once the most convenient enemy (whites) were dealt with, he moved on. The problems just got worse.

-Arrian

p.s. For the mentally challenged, please do not take this post as in any way supportive of the old Rhodesia.
                                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                                X