Zimbabwe out of money to print money...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
    The inflation is in Zimbabwean dollars, not US ones.
    Uh...yeah.

So wages lag behind the falling value of the Zimbabwe dollar relative to the US dollar, so the value in US dollars of wages paid in Zimbabwean dollars should be depressed.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If Z$ drops relative to US$ by 50% in a week but wages are left unchanged then everybody in the country takes a 50% pay cut when measured in US$
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

An NPR report a couple of days ago put Zimbabwe's annual inflation at about 1,000%.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

the article mentions 1042%

Comment

Anyone wanna be a millionaire?
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I almost forgot:

for excellent thread title

Comment

Don't worry, it's only Africa. No one cares about Africa - not even the people on Poly...
                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

I wondered when the sage wisdom of Mobius would appear. We can rest easy now.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I bet you don't know the first thing about the **** going down in Zim - as amply shown by your posts in this thread...
                    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse Uh...with high inflation, real wages are depressed if the nominal wage is "sticky"
                      If Z$ drops relative to US$ by 50% in a week but wages are left unchanged then everybody in the country takes a 50% pay cut when measured in US$
                      I think you misunderstood me. I was talking about stickiness of wages in real terms (so in this case, largely in dollar terms as well).

Yes, if nominal wages are left unchanged. But if the fall in the exchange rate is caused by, say, a doubling of the amount of Z$ in circulation, wages and prices will double as well. Measured in US$, wages remain the same.
                      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Everybody knows it takes money to make money.
                        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                        2004 Presidential Candidate
                        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢

I think you misunderstood me. I was talking about stickiness of wages in real terms (so in this case, largely in dollar terms as well).

Yes, if nominal wages are left unchanged. But if the fall in the exchange rate is caused by, say, a doubling of the amount of Z$ in circulation, wages and prices will double as well. Measured in US$, wages remain the same.
                            Ah.

I doubt wages are keeping pace with inflation, however. Likely they are lagging...
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Vetlegion's explanation is probably a more likelier one, yes.
                              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

The gov't can even scrounge up enough foreign currency to buy ink, after all! An exchange rate is sort of a meaningless concept at this point.
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                                X