Life turned out to be a bit odd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life turned out to be a bit odd

When you're a kid you haven't a clue. Maybe your earliest years are full of maternal love, most people's are I suppose. Later though, when you start to experience school and learn how to interpret whats around you, man, it's mighty strange. The way the world works, the way people interrelate, the focus of people. It's kind of a disappointment. Or, it would be if I didn't have Dolores. She gives reason where it is much needed.

Know what I'm talking about? When you were 2 or 3, even 4, 5, or 6, who knew what a screwball mess the world was, and how people can be.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Well, atleast your spelling is better than Sava's...
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Re: Life turned out to be a bit odd

Originally posted by Lancer
      When you're a kid you haven't a clue.
      Ozzy will hear of this!
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

My spelling is the pits. Sorry, it must be difficult...

"Ozzy will hear of this!"

Kids, dumb as stumps, emerge upon the world blind in their total ignorance. Pathetic, stupid creatures.

Comment

Nothing personal...no offense intended.

Comment

Know what I'm talking about?
            Yep. The only part of my life that's turned out like how I thought it would was me living back in Florida near Miami, though I wanted to be living on an island.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

My spelling is the pits. Sorry, it must be difficult...

"Ozzy will hear of this!"

Kids, dumb as stumps, emerge upon the world blind in their total ignorance. Pathetic, stupid creatures.
              Well how the heck else is it supposed to be? Do you have any idea how many genes it would take to make a brain that was fully programmed at birth? As the French say: "un s**t pile."

Kids need to be unrealistically optomistic at the beginning. It's the fuel that helps them grow. If they weren't so naive and nacissistic they wouldn't make it to the end.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Hmmm... my first memory is from graduating from college... So I really cannot confirm your claims, Lancer
                I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                  ...unrealistically optomistic...
                  You make a good point. I was never this, and my life sucks now.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Re: Re: Life turned out to be a bit odd

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Yep. The only part of my life that's turned out like how I thought it would was me living back in Florida near Miami, though I wanted to be living on an island.
                    Things never turned out as I expected them, nor anywhere near according to plan. Still, I mustn't grumble...but I will anyway
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Know what I'm talking about? When you were 2 or 3, even 4, 5, or 6, who knew what a screwball mess the world was, and how people can be.
                      Actually, any observant 5- or 6-year-old should have had a clue. By that age, you should have:

- been subject to arbitrary power in institutions in which you have no voice (family and school);
                      - seen that kids with more toys and better lunches are more popular than kids with fewer toys and crappier lunches;
                      - seen that the bossiest and most self-absorbed kids are the most popular of all;
                      - seen that kids who are unhappy with themselves take that unhappiness out on their peers, often violently;
                      - seen the power of groupthink in action, especially at recess;
                      - played dodgeball.

I've often thought that, if life has turned out to be odd, it's because it turns out that nothing in life is really very different from childhood (though my particular belief is that life is an exercise in repeating 7th grade forever).
                      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Quite true, all a part of growing up.
                        be free

Comment

I don't think the problem is the world etc.. it's more that people are dicks. BUt then again this is likely what you meant.

I don't think this alone makes the world messed up. I still see the beautiful things, sun rises, glimmering lakes, the cool breeze on a warm day, the smell of smog (yes, that's exciting to me because I rarely smell it, stupid clean air!), animals running in the nature, dogs, cats, birds etc etc. Endless examples of the good old perfect world.

Then there are even good things in humans sometimes too. Sometimes, humans bond together in times of stress. You see people helping complete strangers, you see them risking their lives just to save someone else and things like that. Rarely, but it still happens.

Majority, however, are still jerks. I have stopped liking people a long time ago. That's why I've said for the longest time I like dogs more than I like people. I could shoot people all day long.

So.. what is there to do. Arm yourself. Arm yourself to the teeth. Be ready, be ready to face the end and take as many as you can with you! Oh, and enjoy the nature.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Re: Re: Life turned out to be a bit odd

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Actually, any observant 5- or 6-year-old should have had a clue. By that age, you should have:

- been subject to arbitrary power in institutions in which you have no voice (family and school);
                            - seen that kids with more toys and better lunches are more popular than kids with fewer toys and crappier lunches;
                            - seen that the bossiest and most self-absorbed kids are the most popular of all;
                            - seen that kids who are unhappy with themselves take that unhappiness out on their peers, often violently;
                            - seen the power of groupthink in action, especially at recess;
                            - played dodgeball.

I've often thought that, if life has turned out to be odd, it's because it turns out that nothing in life is really very different from childhood (though my particular belief is that life is an exercise in repeating 7th grade forever).
                            Exactly Rufus.

People generally have two views of childhood. That its pure, innocent and void of all conflict, anxiety and disruption. And anything from the adult world necessarily corrupts and destroys that perfect childhood paradise.

Or that its a nasty time filled with nasty, brutish children who are all cruel, reckless, immature, and so unlike the mature, responsible, benevolent adults.

The truth is adults are just bigger and have more power.
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Yes, they are bigger. They have bigger brains, bigger responsibilities, bigger memories of bigger life experiences. Youths are not worse than adults by any means, but they are not the same. A one year old cannot do the things that a (fully functional) thirty year old can, and there is a reason why.
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X