Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sos

Originally posted by Pekka
    Why is it Save Our Souls? I mean, how about Save Our Lives?

You know, only the uberlord can save your soul, so that's either me or God. And I'm not reading any signs, that's a sign fo weakness. You work yourself out, you swim, kill the bastards, make a run for it, whatever you got yourself into, you have to make an effort first. You might fail, but hey, that's life and I guess it's up to God to save your soul if you failed miserably. And he don't like losers either so I wouldn't hold my breath.

So why is it SOS and not for example SOL?
    and even if it is "Save our Souls", it doesn't necessarily mean save your soul in the sense that your soul needs saving from Satan... I've heard the term soul referred to people. Old newspaper articles in America referred to "souls" as victims when a lot of people died... like "600 souls lost" when a ship was sunk... etc.

"Save our souls" could be referring to soul in the physical sense, because it's stuck in your body... not the spiritual sense.

If the body dies, the soul goes somewhere else. You see what I mean, Pekka?
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It's a German term originally. It's only used because it's easy to spell in Morse Code. The "meanings" for it came later.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Serb
        I heard in US they use Save Our Asses instead.
        No, thats France. What do they use in Russia? Save Our Soviets?
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
          Er...SOL stands for something else in English. It's sort of a negative response to an SOS. "SOS? Sorry, but you're SOL."
          S-urely

O-utta

L-uck
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

It doesnt stand for anything. The old British ships used to use CQD which stood for (seek you - distress) solely because seek you was the standard form of attempting to relay a general message to another ship.

However CQD was mistaken for many things and thus it was changed by the Germans to something which couldn't be screwed up by amateur morse operators: dot dot dot dash dash dash dot dot dot.

With voice recording something aural needed to be created and in the 1920s some bright spark in England suggested an anglicised for of the word m'aider be used (Mayday) because the planes from that airport only went to France.

What we don't have is a visual version of distress. I suggest feigning childbirth or people screaming in front of a camera or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalius
              What we don't have is a visual version of distress.
              An upside down flag (national, naval, etc.) is universally recognized (though this may be difficult for a few to do...).
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
              2004 Presidential Candidate
              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                awesome thread Pekka

Josie is working on a reply
                that explains your posts.

Comment

The modern version of S.O.S. should be F1...
                  I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Originally posted by civman2000
                    "Mayday" comes from "m'aider", "help me" in French, IIRC.
                    LISTER gets up and starts to look for something to burn.

RIMMER: Mayday! Mayday! (To LISTER) I wonder why it's "Mayday?"

LISTER gathers some books from the trunk.

LISTER: Eh?
                    RIMMER: The distress call. Why d'you say "Mayday?" It's only a Bank
                    Holiday. Why not "Shrove Tuesday" or "Ascension Sunday?" (Mimics)
                    Ascension Sunday! Ascension Sunday! The fifteenth Wednesday after
                    Pentecost! The fifteenth Wednesday after Pentecost!
                    LISTER: It's French, you doink. It's m'aidez. Help me. Muh-aid-ay
                    (Sighs.) Everywhere I look reminds me of food. Look at these books:
                    Charles Lamb, Herman Wok, the complete works of Sir Francis Bacon, Eric
                    Van Lustbader...
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                      rather ironic that a french word for help is so common in the english language
                      "M'aidez!" was what the French aviators shouted when in trouble during WW I. The first American volunteers who joined in that war were American pilots, and they picked it up. 'Ceptin' they couldn't spell too good so it got changed to "Mayday!"

Now, wait 'til I tell you about the "French kiss."

Comment

Not ironic that it was developed by them though.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

"M'aidez!" was what the French aviators shouted when in trouble during WW I. The first American volunteers who joined in that war were American pilots, and they picked it up. 'Ceptin' they couldn't spell too good so it got changed to "Mayday!"

Now, wait 'til I tell you about the "French kiss."
                          Oh I seen it a lot just not a lot lately
                          Attached Files
                          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

HA!
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by aaglo
                              The modern version of S.O.S. should be F1...
                              No, should be the three finger salute
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Kalius
                                What we don't have is a visual version of distress.
                                I suggest we use the BSoD (Blue Screen of Death).
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X