Sos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sos

Why is it Save Our Souls? I mean, how about Save Our Lives?

You know, only the uberlord can save your soul, so that's either me or God. And I'm not reading any signs, that's a sign fo weakness. You work yourself out, you swim, kill the bastards, make a run for it, whatever you got yourself into, you have to make an effort first. You might fail, but hey, that's life and I guess it's up to God to save your soul if you failed miserably. And he don't like losers either so I wouldn't hold my breath.

So why is it SOS and not for example SOL?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Er...SOL stands for something else in English. It's sort of a negative response to an SOS. "SOS? Sorry, but you're SOL."
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

SOS is the way it is because it is easily recognizable in Morse code.
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Oh right, good for morse coding.. that's three shorts, three long ones and then three shorts again.

But let's not get over our heads here. It's old now. We must update it. So that old people can't remember it and then we get rid off them people (who smell like their own pee!!).
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

awesome thread Pekka

Josie is working on a reply
          Attached Files
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
              Oh right, good for morse coding.. that's three shorts, three long ones and then three shorts again.

But let's not get over our heads here. It's old now. We must update it. So that old people can't remember it and then we get rid off them people (who smell like their own pee!!).
              I heard in US they use Save Our Asses instead.

Comment

Save Our Ship!
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Yep, the "save our souls" is just a phrase for people to easily memorize oh-so-difficult three-letter SOS.

What I wonder what does that Mayday -thing mean? Is it a huge party with lots of alcohol included? Or is it about the time to bring out the red flags, and go for a march around the nearest market square? What's that all about?

MD?
                  Major Disaster?
                  Moby Dick?

Who knows...
                  I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

"Mayday" comes from "m'aider", "help me" in French, IIRC.

Comment

rather ironic that a french word for help is so common in the english language
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Japher, that's maybe one of the best picture replies I've seen...
                        In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Serb

I heard in US they use Save Our Asses instead.
                          That's communist propaganda. Americans, being so fabulously rich, never need to be saved and don't have problems with their asses.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I thought SOS was "Save our Ship" ?
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yep its always been Save our Ship, never Save our Souls.
                              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                              X