Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

How about "brainless pulp?"
    That's nowhere near enough similarity on which to base a prediction of fanbase overlap. Especially any definition of "pulp" which can be applied to movies as manifestly dissimiler as the da vinci code and X-men:last stand.

For example both Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot! and Battlefield Earth are even more easily recognized as "brainless pulp" and yet their fanbases are quite dissimiler.

Believe it or not the fact that someone enjoys a movie for no apparent reason does little to predict the chance that they will enjoy a completely dissimiler film as well. There is no accounting for taste but it will tend to be as consistant in those in whom it differs from your own as it is in yourself or others possessing similar tastes in entertainment.

Nobody likes "brainless pulp", rather they enjoy other qualities that may or may not have anything to do with whether the film in question is "brainless pulp" or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
      That's nowhere near enough similarity on which to base a prediction of fanbase overlap.
      Fanbase? X-Men may have fans, but I don't see how The Da Vinci Code has any.

However, both have more similarities than they first appear.

Nobody likes "brainless pulp"...
      I can assure you that this assertion is completely off-base.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Fanbase? X-Men may have fans, but I don't see how The Da Vinci Code has any.

However, both have more similarities than they first appear.

I can assure you that this assertion is completely off-base.

"Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

korn: You're not. All I can think of is everyone had a siesta between those scenes.
          B♭3

Comment

geek question

wasnt there an x men whose power super power was being lucky?

what was his (or her?) name
            ?

or was I smoking pot?
            I need a foot massage

Comment

What a terrible terrible movie. Ugh. The screentime of Rogue added up to aboutl 3 minutes. She never learned to control her powers. She was an afterthought. Not to mention all the other crappiness that was this movie.

Ugh. The greedy producers rushed a bad script through shoddy directing to make the hundreds of millions ASAP and move on to the Wolverine franchise. What else should I expect?
              "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
              ^ The Poly equivalent of:
              "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

X3

Shame there was no use of nightcrawler however.
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                  geek question

wasnt there an x men whose power super power was being lucky?

what was his (or her?) name
                  ?

or was I smoking pot?
                  I have no idea. Longshot?

Comment

I have no idea. Longshot?
                    Wikipedia declares you the winner!
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Winner!

He was susposed to be from another planet (or dimension, I forget which). The unlucky bastard was killed IIRC.
                      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Bleh.

I have to go see this sometime, b/c my wife just loves X-Men and thus we must see the film. As long as it's not bad enough to make me laugh out loud (as I did when I finally saw Star Wars, Ep. III), it'll be ok.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

IIRC another dimension that was run as a game show (akin to Running Man).
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                            Bleh.

I have to go see this sometime, b/c my wife just loves X-Men and thus we must see the film. As long as it's not bad enough to make me laugh out loud (as I did when I finally saw Star Wars, Ep. III), it'll be ok.

-Arrian
                            Hey, ROTS was a serious film. There was nothing at all to laugh at.

Except the dragon thing, and the romantic scenes, and Hayden Christenesntesn yelling, "FROM MY POINT OF VIEW THE JEDI ARE EVIL!!!1ONE!!", and Ian McDiarmid forgetting how to do his Emperor voice, and the fact that I accidentally turned my Force FX Lightsaber on in the middle of a very quiet scene. Man, that was embarrassing.

But other than that, it was an excellent movie.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

X3: 2.5/5
                              ROTS: 2/5.
                              B♭3

Comment

Okay... I just saw it.

A Good action/Super hero movie on its own, and a great ending to a trilogy.

As I put my tin hat on, I'll let my inner geek come out:

Spoiler:
                                Yes, Magneto is a very powerful mutant, but nowhere near as powerful as portraied in the movie. Accoring to some comic books I've read (and RPGs I've played) Magneto can control upwards to 100 tons of force with his magnetic fields. The Golden Gate Bridge is a trifle bit over that.

The Phoenix/Dark Phoenix was done about as well as could be done. At the end of X2, my first comment coming out of the theater was "It'll be interesting how they bring Dark Phoenix into this.". And that moron who typed up his review of the movie for a school paper, was obviously in Elementary School, or at least has no emotional connection with the world. Why did Cyclops go to Lake Alkalide? Well, why do people go to grave sites? That was moronic.

Mystic... well... I was ALWAYS surprised at how much screen time she got. All she could do is immitate. They made her interesting by making her a good fighter/computer operator/pilot, but not indespensable. Magneto turning on her is totally out of character (Ok, out of comicbook character, but not movie character).

The moral stimulation of this franchise was not lost in any way shape or means. In fact, it is raised up a notch when Wolverine and Xavier have a difference of opinion on how much power is too much power. A rather great scene where one would actually look at Xavier and think "You hypocrital monster!". I'm sorry, but that is great writting and character development. For those who look to these movies for moral debate, it is a powerful movie.

Go see this movie. Hell, I'd almost be willing to pay your ticket price...
                                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Working...
                                X