Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OzzyKP's on the case again: Detention for a MySpace Blog Entry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where on Earth did you go to school? I have never heard of anything like that - "anything that has a negative impact."

It's standard fare now.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
      Yep, totally agree. Like Imran, I could see taking issue with posting threats to other students (threats of violence). Other than that, no ****in' way. This is definitely a step too far.

-Arrian
      Even then I disagree.

If it is bad enough it is the job of the police...

How can the school have authority over what a student writes on his blog while at home....

Comment

It's standard fare now.
        Huh. Never heard it before, and it seems patently ridiculous.

---

As long as we're on youth rights, a new health law championed by Huckabee requires next year that every student must have thirty minutes of physical activity per day. (No matter what; handicapped kids can take a different PE class so they can do something.)

The good news is, pretty much ANY class counts as physical activity - any athletics, any PE, Band, Drama, Choir, etc. Any elective or class where you're not in a desk for the whole year, basically. (To be fair, band is very physical during marching season. No fatsos in the halftime show.)

The better news is, you can get a waiver signed that says "I am doing a physical activity regimen outside of school." It could be Taekwando, going to the gym, swimming classes, watching reruns of Family Guy and eating Cheetos, whatever, they don't check right when you turn the forms in.

The bad news is, they basically just legislated that every student in the state has to exercise, in theory.

(Good news) In reality, lardos will turn in forms that say they exercise outside school, never lift a finger, and nothing will happen.

(Bad news) But in theory (and to be honest it's never been done before so it's anyone's guess how successful or pushy enforcement will be), guys from various state offices will visit the schools and pick some of the forms to call people out and see if they're really exercising.

You know, it's exactly another one of those "questionable things" that don't matter because the only more exercise that will get done is Huckabee patting himself on the back. It'll be fun to see what happens if the thing ever becomes more than just another peice of paper the schools have to shuffle around...
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Lul Thyme
          Even then I disagree.

If it is bad enough it is the job of the police...

How can the school have authority over what a student writes on his blog while at home....
          Well think about it, if the school knows about a threat against another classmate, does nothing (or tells the police which does nothing) and then that classmate gets attacked, you KNOW the parents will sue the school if they find out. It's a 'cover your ass' provision.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well think about it, if the school knows about a threat against another classmate, does nothing (or tells the police which does nothing) and then that classmate gets attacked, you KNOW the parents will sue the school if they find out. It's a 'cover your ass' provision.
            I'm calling BS, has a parent EVER sued on those grounds before? I know there are frivolous lawsuits but that just sounds too far out there.
            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
              I'm calling BS, has a parent EVER sued on those grounds before? I know there are frivolous lawsuits but that just sounds too far out there.
              This is America. You can bet your ass there would be a lawsuit the grounds that the school was negligent in knowing there was a threat and did nothing about it.

I can't imagine that being a case would be that shocking.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

btw, I spoke to the ACLU-IL, they are taking a wait and see attitude. They haven't yet fielded any complaints from students or parents (unfortuantely) so there isn't much they can do at this point. They said they'll get in touch with me if they hear anything.

I also was contacted by a lawyer in private practice in Chicago who was interested in bring suit against the school for this. If he goes through with it, we might file an amicus brief on support.
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Go Ozzy
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Go Ozzy go!
                    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Lul Thyme
                      Short answer: IT DOESN'T.

If it sees threatening behavior, the school may -- like any citizen -- go to the police.

If it happens to learn of inappropriate conduct which took place off of school grounds, it can alert the parents.

But it's a school, not the Gestapo!

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Short answer: IT DOESN'T.

If it sees threatening behavior, the school may -- like any citizen -- go to the police.

If it happens to learn of inappropriate conduct which took place off of school grounds, it can alert the parents.

But it's a school, not the Gestapo!
                        Now if only we can get the courts, and the voters to agree with you (and me, and all sane people) on that.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I imagine most people are sane about it. Although they appear not to live in that county.
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Sadly this type of stuff is more common than you think...

Comment

LOL

BUSTED

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X