Do You Cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Cook?

I'm no talking about just a burger here and there but entire meals. Since getting married I've been having to do more by honing my cooking skills.

During my single days I ate out a lot or fixed a lot of simple stuff. Anyone cook regulary?

Share recipes
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

I've been passing through the heady days of "fend for thyself" in college this past year. This has mostly been an unmitigated disaster. I would never inflict my cuisine on someone I loved.
    Lime roots and treachery!
    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

I do, although I still problems getting it all done at home. Just isn't the same as a professional kithen.

I quite often make things that last a while; soup of bolognaise or something like that. That way I don't do alot the next couple of days.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Yes thankyou, and rather well. I am quite well domesticated!
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I cook, I cook well, and I like it

wifey complains to me about the number of cookbooks and cooking mags I have
          Monkey!!!

Comment

i'm an awful cook, so mostly i don't bother.
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Yes. But usually things that are not too taxing. I do recommend a slow cooker... those things are awesome (I made fabulous pulled pork with it a few weeks back) .
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Pork? With a name like yours?
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Cookbooks.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                    Pork? With a name like yours?
                    the joys of going agnostic I guess. (imran is agnostic right?)

Comment

Yes, I can make a mean egg salad for myself and a friend!

Grilled cheese, however, can only end in tears.
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

i managed to set fire to a microwaveable alabama fudge cake the other day
                        Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

I do cook, but I apply too much spices to anyone else's taste...
                          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Yes, I cook.

I make fajitas, which is easy (chicken/beef, onions, peppers, tomato, cheese, tortillas, salsa).

I make steak/rice or tater tots/green beans.

I make chicken pesto pasta, which is easy provided I can actually find good fresh basil. IIRC, the porportions for the sauce are something like this:

Per 1lb of pasta (what I usually make): 5-6 cloves garlic, 1.5 cup of grated parm, the full large package of basil (roughly 1.5 cups if you cram it into a measuring cup, using just the leaves) and 1 cup (??) of low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth. The basil, parm, chicken broth and garlic all go into the blender. Then just cook the pasta and some chicken and mix it all together.

I make what we call gulash (sp?): fry up a bunch of ground turkey (spoon out grease), onions, peppers and garlic. Cook a 1lb of pasta. Mix together with red sauce (yes, I cop out and use stuff from a jar). Really, really easy, and always yummy.

There's a good parmesian/dijon chicken recipe I use occasionally (typically with sides of rice & green beans or broccoli). It involves grated parm cheese + dijon (or, in my case, honey dijon) mustard + butter (or butter-type substance like marj or smart balance or somesuch) with which you coat the chicken breasts and then bake them.

Got a new one that involves coating chicken breasts with chopped up peanuts (and something to make it stick, I forget if it's buttery stuff or egg, or something else) and then baking them. That came out well.

I make Sesame Chicken stir fry by just doing a normal chicken + onions/peppers/broccoli/water chestnuts stir fry and using some Sesame sauce I picked up at the store, and making up some white rice.

During winter, I make beef stew. The wifey loves stew, and it give me an excuse for eating a ****load of french bread. Or freedom bread, if you prefer.

We also have a panini grill (functionally very similar to a G. Forman grill). Ciabatta bread, cold cuts, cheddar, red onion, sweet red peppers, tomato, lettuce and some mustard + the grill = a tasty sandwhich. On nights when we have softball after work it's nice to be able to make something that simple.

I make pork cutlets sometimes - this is not at all creative (pork in frying pan or on the panini grill + rice or tater tots + green beans or broccoli).

-Arrian
                            Last edited by Arrian; May 24, 2006, 15:41.
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I make what we call gulash (sp?): fry up a bunch of ground turkey (spoon out grease), onions, peppers and garlic. Cook a 1lb of pasta. Mix together with red sauce (yes, I cop out and use stuff from a jar). Really, really easy, and always yummy.

While probably very good, it's not Gulash.

Comment

Working...
                              X