No announcement yet.

US $1 Coin, Take 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the cost of printing/engraving money an even slightly significant part of the budget? If not, the whole cost issue is bogus IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      Is the cost of printing/engraving money an even slightly significant part of the budget? If not, the whole cost issue is bogus IMO.
      Fine then, lets just worry about the cost of the military, everything else is insignificant.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• I'm sure it's quite little in the grand scheme of things, but that doesn't mean that there isn't merrit to doing something in a more cost-effective manner.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
          Fine then, lets just worry about the cost of the military, everything else is insignificant.
          That's untrue, and irrelevent. There's no reason to have a big national debate over something that'll save us, what, a couple hundred million dollars at most?

Comment

That's untrue, and irrelevent. There's no reason to have a big national debate over something that'll save us, what, a couple hundred million dollars at most?
            That's my point. Screw the debate, make the change (no pun intended) and people can just deal with it. It's freakin' currency - you don't need to have a national plebiscite over it, and you haven't in the past when, say, the new $20 bill was issued.
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

• Cost of currency = one more reason communism is more efficient than capitalism
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki
                That's my point. Screw the debate, make the change (no pun intended) and people can just deal with it. It's freakin' currency - you don't need to have a national plebiscite over it, and you haven't in the past when, say, the new $20 bill was issued.
                Let me rephrase: there's no point in having a national debate over whether we should implement something because it will save us, at most, a couple hundred million dollars. There are plenty of other reasons to debate it, but the cost of printing and engraving is silly.

Comment

• No, I understood what you meant the first time. My point is that any "debate" over it is useless if the benefits are already proven (which, it would seem, they are). Let people piss and moan about it all they want, but just make the switch and be done with it.

A quick wiki look shows some interesting points about the "debate" anyway http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_$1_Coin_Act_of_1997

Basically, the only reason not to do it is because some people might not like it. Boo hoo.

Comment

Edit, misread. Ignore my previous comment.

Look after the pennies as they say, and the pounds will look after themselves. That seems especially apt here.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Basically, the only reason not to do it is because some people might not like most people would hate it.

Corrected.

Comment

Basically, the only reason not to do it is because some people might not like most people would hate it.

Corrected.
                        That's fine. Too bad, so sad. People can either stop using the currency they're dictated to use anyway, or they can suck it up, use it and realize that it's not that big a deal. Like I said, there was big time opposition to it here in Canada (and I'm sure elsewhere) but we realized pretty quickly that the sky wasn't falling.

Comment

• Why are you in a position to say this?

Why would the Treasury Department want to do this in the first place?

Comment

• I'm in the same position anyone here is to say anything about any subject - namely, none.

And if the Treasury Department wanted to do it for cost-effectiveness, then they should just do it (which is what I'm saying). If they don't want to do it, then it isn't done. All I'm getting at is that if there's a good reason to do it, then there isn't a terribly compelling reason not to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki
                              ... there was big time opposition to it here in Canada (and I'm sure elsewhere) but we realized pretty quickly that the sky wasn't falling.
                              And the same arguments were used.

I have yet to hear a truly rational objection (then or now).
                              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• The only way the $1 coin will work is if they put Teh Reagan on it!
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X