Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montenegro votes on secession

Montenegro in independence vote

The people of Montenegro have begun voting in a referendum on independence from Serbia.

The former Yugoslav republic currently forms part of the union of Serbia and Montenegro and is deeply divided over the independence issue.

The pro-independence bloc needs at least 55% of votes cast for victory.

If people do vote for independence, it would mark the final dissolution of the former Yugoslavia and create Europe's newest state.

There are strong cultural, economic and family ties with neighbouring Serbia.

Those who oppose independence say all of these will be affected in a negative way if Montenegro breaks away from Serbia.

Sunday best

Queues formed early at polling stations, which opened at 0800 local time (0600 GMT).

There was a steady stream of voters. One man said: "This is the most important day for Montenegro in 100 years."

The polls are due to close at 2100 (1900 GMT) and first official results are expected on Monday, though election monitors are hoping to have an accurate prediction by midnight.

Voters, some of them dressed in their Sunday best clothes, pondered the referendum question: "Do you want Montenegro to be an independent state with full international and legal legitimacy?"

The build-up to the vote had reached a climax on Saturday night, with independence supporters setting off fireworks, blaring car horns and draping the national flag from their balconies.

Diaspora vote

The campaign for independence has been led by Prime Minister Milo Djukanovic, who argues it will bring faster European integration and a stronger economy.

In the days running up to the vote, thousands of Montenegrins living abroad have travelled home in order to cast their ballot.

With a population of fewer than 700,000, it is these votes from the diaspora that could ultimately decide the fate of the republic, says the BBC's Nick Hawton in the capital Podgorica.

The last time Montenegro was independent was nearly 90 years ago at the end of World War I, when it was absorbed into the newly formed Yugoslavia.

Under a European Union-brokered deal, the independence bloc needs 55% of the vote to be successful.

One of the key questions is what happens if a majority do vote for independence but the 55% threshold is not reached, our correspondent says.

Despite the peaceful run-up to the vote, some observers have expressed fears that the result of the referendum - whatever it is - could trigger a spasm of violence.

There is a precedent in the Balkans, with the Bosnian war beginning on the day the country voted for independence in 1992.

But these fears were played down by Prime Minister Djukanovic, who said: "The security forces are ready, but I'm sure there won't be trouble. We have learned our history lesson."

MONTENEGRO'S CHOICE
    Population: 670,000
    Last remaining ex-Yugoslav republic tied to Serbia
    Already has autonomy, uses Euro not Serbian dinar
    Prime minister and many ethnic Montenegrins driving for independence
    Belgrade and many ethnic Serbs are opposed

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Da
    52.94%
    Ne
    26.47%
    Cabbage (Banana)
    20.59%
    CSPA

I think they'll get independance, even if it takes 900 000 montenegrians to take part in the vote

But seriously, I don't think the Djukanovic would have risked this if he wasn't damn sure he would win.

Comment

Good luck montenegro!

I think it's a good idea for the reasons I outlined on CG already.
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

i think it's a good idea. i also think it's great that the people are going to decide their own future
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

If people do vote for independence, it would mark the final dissolution of the former Yugoslavia and create Europe's newest state.
          I take exception with this. There is still Kosovo and possibly Vojvodina to go.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Wait... what does the constitution of Serbia say about this? Montenegro might be doing something ILLEGAL!
            Last edited by Fake Boris; May 21, 2006, 10:07.
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Why would the constitution of Serbia have anything to do with Montenegro? You do realize it has always been independent of Serbia and was just one of the Republics in Yugoslavia, right?

Wait. I'm talking to fake boris. Never mind.

Comment

You either missed the irony, or very subtly answered my argument.

Comment

Yep, Serbian constitution doesn't have anything to do with this. Sorry Boris.

Comment

Comment

Poor Boris . . . . . .

he thought he was being clever.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

This leaves Serbia as a land-locked state if successful. Very interesting to watch is the map of Europe.
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

@ Fake Boris

Comment

More changes will be afoot shortly. The final status of Kosovo is to be decided in the next year with something like 85-90% wanting independence, 8% (basically the remaining Serbs) wanting to stay part of Serbia, and so where between 1%-3% wanting union with Albania.

Then we have the Hungarians of Vojvodina to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                              Poor Boris . . . . . .

he thought he was being clever.
                              As opposed to being funny?

Comment

Working...
                              X