Wii to sell for less then 200? Nintendo is brilliant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wii to sell for less then 200? Nintendo is brilliant

Burlap writes "In a story at Forbes, Merrill Lynch predicts that Nintendo will severely undercut the competition with a $200 price point on the Wii." From the article: "An executive from SEGA, one of Nintendo's largest publishers, told Forbes.com on Tuesday that he expects the Wii to sell for less t...

If the Wii indeed sells for less then $200, nintendo will skyrocket back to the top of the console market. That is so unbelivably cheap for a console...

I think thats exactly how the latest 4 Nintendo consoles were priced too.
    Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

I was just reading that in the slash dot comments.... supposedly that is the case.

200? Whats the next x-box and the PS3 going for lol?

Nintendo will (completley) corner the market on parents buying consoles for their children because the tremendously lower price alone makes it more attractive-besides the fact the Wii looks cool. I"ve never cared or been excited about a console release before...... the more I am reading about the Wii, the more attractive it seems...

I should give some serious thought into investing into nintendo stock... like tommorow. If nothing else its almost guaranteed to see a big rise when the Wii releases.

I wish I haden't made 2 threads today already, i'd make a new one asking for analysis of nintendo stock and if others think its worth buying now, to sell off after the wii comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius
        I think thats exactly how the latest 4 Nintendo consoles were priced too.
        But they also weren't faced with competition pricing their systems 2-3x as much. Plus Nintendo has plenty of momentum going into the Wii's launch. They have the press on their side and the gaming community seems to be as well.

Comment

Trip:

Sure. But on the other hand Wii is basically just a regular "console" without HD etc. Whereas the Xbox360 and PS3 are more like real mediacenters and PC replacements...

So for less, you get less.

- Paul Valery

Comment

If I want a media center i'll buy a computer heh, thanks .

Games have been played and enjoyed for a decade with no internal storage capacity besides memory cards.

You can make far more profit per dollar of production on memory card sales then you can for the sale of the hard drive in the machine anyway and I'd bet consumers might even prefer it that way.

Comment

Yeah but you need a huge pile of memory cards for 60, 120 or 250 gig HD full of music, photos, demos, trailers, movies etc

Stop being so conservative this is supposed to be a revolution afterall

- Paul Valery

Comment

Nah i'll be fine with 1 memory card. I don't want photos, demos, trailers or movies anyway.

Comment

Thats okay, then Wii will be perfect for you.

- Paul Valery

Comment

The wii sounds quite appealing, as I said. I've never bought a console, but the control style for the wii looks really, really cool. Low price helps too.

Comment

I second that. I havent ever bought console myself either, but I've been playing some GC games(Super Smash Bros. and a crazy Nintendo soccer game-which-name-escapes-me)with friends on the video projector in my student club and its been the most fun I've had since Castlevania 1, Bionic Commando and Contra. So I will prolly purchase Wii aswell.

- Paul Valery

Comment

So it is true. You can buy the Xbox360 and the Wii for the same price as a PS3.

This will probably hurt Sony a lot more than MS. If people just want a video game system, they can get the Wii. If they want a multimedia system or just better graphics, then they can get the Xbox 360. And in either case, they can still afford to buy games.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius
                          Trip:

Sure. But on the other hand Wii is basically just a regular "console" without HD etc. Whereas the Xbox360 and PS3 are more like real mediacenters and PC replacements...

So for less, you get less.
                          As Vesayen kind of hinted at, how many people really want that from these types of machines? I'm skeptical the whole 'console becomes the media center of your house' thing will take off any time soon. I'd certainly prefer my games in HD, but there are more important things I'm concerned about. Namely being able to shake my controller like mad while trying to kill Donkey Kong or Kirby.

Comment

Many people are not only willing to pay more, but actually enjoy it. The more you pay for something, the more happiness it's going to give you.
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I don't WANT a media center. I want something to play cool games on. The costs of computers are going down as well, a huge portion(I want to say most but I am unsure) of potential wii buyers ALREADY own a computer.

Comment

Working...
                              X