Anti-Matter Concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Matter Concerns

If any of you have been following the research at CERN, you will know they have made quite a lot of progress.

But what scares me is that they are trying to produce a large quantity of Anti-Matter, the problem is that this stuff is so unstable that it explodes when it touches any matter, which means you have to keep it in a vacuum.

The stuff makes Nuclear energy look like the little sister and anti-matter the big brother. If CERN produces enough of it, and suddenly it all explodes, they could blow half of Europe off the map.

Please, someone tell me what they are doing is not insane.
    be free

It's not insane. You don't have any sense of scale.

Comment

wow, thanks for the indepth explanation!
      be free

Comment

Did you just read angels and devils, you silly little man?
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

We've been making antimatter for many decades now...
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            It's not insane. You don't have any sense of scale.

The biggest limiting factor in the production of antimatter is the availability of antiprotons. Recent data released by CERN states that when fully operational their facilities are capable of producing 10^7 antiprotons per second. Assuming an optimal conversion of antiprotons to antihydrogen (which is far from true) it would take two billion years (give or take a few thousand) to produce 1 gram of antihydrogen.

1g antimatter annihilating with 1g matter = 1.8*10^14 J

= 44 kilotons TNT equivalent

So it would take 2 billion years at current production rates to make enough to equal a small nuclear bomb.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Assuming you could trap them indefinitely

Which, by the way, is far from true

Containment of antimatter is very, very hard
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Hey..if they can make anti-protons, does that mean that we can creat new normal protons and thereby avoid the Proton Decay Death of the Universe?
                "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Given that nobody's yet seen seen a proton decay I'm not too worried about all the protons disappearing.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Isn't hydrogen basically just a proton?
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

A hydrogen ion, yes.

Comment

That's the only important form of hydrogen.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

KH...that's your real problem..you just don't think long-term enough!
                          "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                          "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                          "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Aw, look at that. You're making poor deuterium over there crying.
                            "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                            "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                            Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Tritium is better than deuterium. Everyone knows this!
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X