Hve the Good Times Rolled Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zkribbler

As I see it (whichi is probably overly simplified): Higher gasoline prices --> higher shipping costs --> higher prices for goods --> inflation (or perhaps just fear of inflation ) --> higher interest rates -> borrowing is more expensive --> real estate prices begin to drop and demand decreases.
    I think you need consumer confidence in there somewhere.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

True....but wouldn't consumer confidence be a manifestation of the absence of fear of inflation?

Comment

True....but wouldn't consumer confidence be a manifestation of the absence of fear of inflation?
        I think that's basically correct. I think the higher interest rates have more to do with consumer confidence and how much they will spend. It's all connected.

Comment

Re: Hve the Good Times Rolled Away

Enough on the variants of the same thread title. We've had probably 5-7 in the past week.

Comment

Re: Re: Hve the Good Times Rolled Away

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            Enough on the variants of the same thread title. We've had probably 5-7 in the past week.
            I especially blame the jerks in Fairfax County for the energy crisis. Just the think of all the energy they waste heating those huge homes that have 500 bathrooms.
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

I'm waiting for the housing bubble to pop
              then I'd say that it has rolled
              Monkey!!!

Comment

As I see it (whichi is probably overly simplified): Higher gasoline prices --> higher shipping costs --> higher prices for goods --> inflation (or perhaps just fear of inflation ) --> higher interest rates -> borrowing is more expensive --> real estate prices begin to drop and demand decreases.
                The interest rate is like gravity in the economy. As it increases, all assets become less valuable, not just real estate.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

when do you think bonds will be hot again?
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                    when do you think bonds will be hot again?
                    When DanS stops posting "Let the Good Times Roll"

Comment

International bonds are relatively hot right now.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

More bad news from CNNMoney.com

Housing starts and building permits were down sharply in April, and builder confidence is at its worst level in almost 12 years, according to an industry survey.
                        The article goes on to observe that many people have been maintaining their standard of living by borrowing against the increasing equity in their homes. If this source of money dries up, then consumer spending will fall and the downturn will be felt over a wide spectrum. (

Comment

I'm also not sure you can entirely blame higher interest rates on a downturn in the real estate market. After all, haven't we been crying about a real estate bubble since the mid 90s? It's bound to go down at some point. Whether this is it, or simply a correction, who knows, but there are other factors at play.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

True. IMHO, real estate prices have overheated in the past couple of years. Speculators drive up the price of real estate, and rising prices attract more speculators.

But with the looming spectre of higher interest rates, speculators are beginning to realize the party's over.

BTW: There almost certainly will not be a crash like we see occasionally in the stock market. Real estate is illiquid because (a) it takes a while to unload real estate and (b) people have to live somewhere. So, even a worst case scenario will just be a slow decline in prices.

Comment

How insane is my housing market? Sales ar down 31% from last year, and the median price of a home is up 14%.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                                Blame the jerks who feel the need to live 80 miles away from work so they can afford a huge McMansion and then drive a Massive SUV all the way for pushing up Oil Demand.
                                shi, a right wing ascetic?
                                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X