No announcement yet.

A couple of quick questions for Americans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe it's general issue, not goverment issue. Or maybe they both apply.

Comment

I agree women's minds being all screwed up is a general issue.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
        it started because this dude I work with was dating this chick and she went and slept with his best friend, who also works her

she says they were never dating, though they were sleeping together
        Why wouldn't she just say that she was casually dating both he and his best friend? Such a thing doesn't necessarily imply monogamy.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

A date need not imply sex. A good date, however, does.
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
            I thought GI stood for General Infantry
            It came from how all the equipment issued to the troops had G.I. stamped on it (meaning the same thing). The leap from that to the idea of a "Government Issued" "Joe" didn't take long.

Comment

I've been on good dates without sex. No, I'm serious. No one believes me I'm sure.

Comment

no, I believe that you go on sexless dates
                Monkey!!!

Comment

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og
                    I might use this thread for my question on America.

What does going on a date imply. Does a date have to necesserily end in sex.
                    You can often see on a movie how the girl says "Are you asking me on a date?" as if date implies something more than just going out for dinner or whatever.
                    So what is included in a date?
                    It doesn't imply something more than just going out for dinner or whatever. Rather, it's a slightly more formal appreciation of that dinner.

This appreciation would include the necessity that both people on a date would need to recognize it as a date. And both would need to go into the date with the possibility of having a relationship on their mind (or would already need to be in the relationship). So the girl in the movie with that question is coyly opening up the possibility of a relationship.

There are different kinds of dates. For instance, you can have a blind date, where friends/parents/enemies arrange for you to meet somebody who you don't know and have a one-on-one dinner or whatever with them.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

he explained it pretty good. Like I could go out to dinner with my female friend, but obviously it's not a date. As there is no possibility of a romantic relationship. But she owes me dinner for doing something for her. So it's nice not having to pay. .

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Gross . . . . .

your underarms STINK, man.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

G.I. Joe -

First know appearance was in 1942, when David Breger made a comic for the Stars & Stripes military (Army I think, maybe general release) newspaper. He took the term "G.I. Joe" from the military reference "Government issue". Today, the G.I. part stands for General Infantry, as opposed to Mobile (which replaces the older term Mechanized).

Next appearance of the term G.I. Joe was in the 1945, United Artists movie titled The Story of G.I. Joe. There is some 'evidence' that the term "Number 1 American GI" used by street folk in Korea during the Korean war came from numerous free screenings of this film and NOT from the toy soldier.

First appearance as a toy came in 1964/5 when Hasbro released the first set of G.I. Joe action figures. This is also the first appearance of the term action figure, because dads would not purchase a 'doll' for their sons. This version of GI Joe was 12 inches tall and is a major collector's item today. The first GI Joe was army only but between 1965 and 1966, Hasbro released versions for Navy, Air Force and Marines.

Hasbro licensed GI Joe around the world, but would not let the licensees use the GI Joe name. A selected example set: Group Action Joes, Action Man and the Action Team and bizarrely - Falcon (in South America).

Other milestones:
                          1974 - Joe get Kung Fu Action Grip
                          1978 - GI Joe was discontinued due to rising petroleum costs
                          1982 - GI Joe returns as a 3.75 inch figure (the success of the Star Wars action figures is the main reason for the resurgence). A line of Marvel comics is also created and eventually a cartoon TV show.

Late 1982 - First appearance of Joes' nemesis the Cobra Organization, led by Cobra Commander (a former used car salesman!!)

1986 - Set in a future 2006, a very old Cobra Commander, now going by the name Old Snake, is a key figure in the near destruction of the entire Transformers cadre. The synthoid tech mentioned from time to time in the old GIJoe comic and cartoon is refashioned and combined with the mind of Rodimus Prime and others is put to despotic use!

Interesting trivia - the GI Joe leader, Duke, was scheduled to be killed on in the 1987 movie (GI Joe: The Movie). However, so many people got so upset at the death of Optimus Prime in the Transformers movie, that Hasbro forced a change in the Joe movie - Duke was only put in a coma.

Comment

I remember Eddie Murphy doing an editorial about the new GI Joe on SNL Weekend Update.

He said angrily something like, "If I was shrunk from 12 inches down to 4 inches, I'd be mighty pissed!!"
                            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                              Ive had that dispute with a coworker

apparently she believes you can have sex without it being a date... you can go out to dinner and movie and not have sex and it's a date.... she's messed up

a date is any occassion in which you go out with some with a) the mutual understanding that you are "out" with that person and b) that there is a potential for romance
                              People engage in casual sex all the time without it being a 'date'. A date is an occasion that might lead to something more (a relationship). Freinds with benefits aren't dating for example.

I, of course, think that the casual hooking up is worse than sex on dates.

Jon Miller

edit: I only think that sex is good in a loving relationship.
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Making out refers to everything from a little kissing, to everything short of penetration.

Jon Miller
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X