A couple of quick questions for Americans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of quick questions for Americans

Well, these are not just for Americans, but some random things that have been puzzling me and I haven't been able to find answers on the net

Does "to make out" mean "to kiss" or "to fvck"?

What does "G.I." in "G.I. Joe" mean?

Why are "blueprints" called BLUEprints? It seems like a terrible waste to soak the entire paper in blue just to print a plan of something. How did that come to be?

Is it "English" or "english" when we talk about language?

Should Words In Newspaper Article (Or Thread) Titles Be Capitalized Or Not?

Where the heck does "Fo Shizzle" come from and what does it mean?

That's it for now, I have a lot of these but I keep forgetting them.

kiss

What does "G.I." in "G.I. Joe" mean?
    General Issue

Why are "blueprints" called BLUEprints? It seems like a terrible waste to soak the entire paper in blue just to print a plan of something. How did that come to be?
    No idea, might be because carbon paper is blue

Is it "English" or "english" when we talk about language?
    English

Yes, ala

Should Words in Newspaper Article Titles be Capitalized or Not?

Where the heck does "Fo Shizzle" come from and what does it mean?
    "For sure". From Snoop Dogg.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

1. To make out means to kiss.

2. G.I. means Government Issue.

3. Blueprints refers to the slightly blueish carbon paper that was used by architects before copiers were common.

4. English.

5. They should be, but commonly aren't on Poly.

6. Fo' Shizzle means for sure, in ghetto speak.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

2. G.I. means Government Issue.
        yeah, that's it, I was wrong... as usual
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Thanks guys, that was quick

Comment

To clarify a bit more:

Words like "the," "on," "in," "of," "a," "and," and so on shouldn't be capitalized unless they are the first (or last) word in the title. Everything else should be.

From "A Pocket Style Manual:"

In both titles and subtitles of works such as books, articles, and songs, major words should be capitalized. Minor words - articles, prepositions, and coordinating conjunctions - are not capitalized unless they are the first or last word of a title or subtitle. Capitalize the second part of a hyphenated term in a title only if it is a major word.
            Lime roots and treachery!
            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Re: A couple of quick questions for Americans

Originally posted by VetLegion
              There is no correct answer. Every newspaper has its own style rules.

The New York Times caps major words.

The International Herald Tribune, which is owned by the NYT, only caps the first word and proper nouns (e.g. names).

Go figure, eh.
              Golfing since 67

Comment

Make out means a bit more than just to kiss. It means to kiss a whooooole lot and sometimes (by which I mean anytime you can get away with it) feeling up the other person .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Usually it means to kiss.

Depends on what standard you want to use. AP stylebook guildlines say you capitalize the first word of the headline, and lowercase the rest. However many large newspapers such as the NY Times and the Washington Post capitalize all words in the headline.
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I thought GI stood for General Infantry
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                      While different associations/publications have their own style conventions, you would virtually never see every word capitalised. Prepositions, articles etc. are not.

In your example: 'in' and 'or' would almost never be capitalised except at the beginning of the title
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I thought GI stood for gastrointestinal, and GI Joe was just a guy who ate too many beans.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

To make out means to kiss passionitely, usually involving a bit of tongue.

Feeling up is like first base, which is after making out.

Comment

That was "second base" where I come from, but whatever.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

you mean where kevin youkilis will be standing after big uglies' first pitch tonite?
                              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Working...
                              X