US giving assylum to N. Korean refugees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US giving assylum to N. Korean refugees

Finally, we are putting our money where our mouth is! South Korea should be ashamed that the US is more welcoming of its countrymen.

U.S. Grants Asylum to Refugees From North Korea

Associated Press
    Sunday, May 7, 2006; A07

Six refugees from North Korea, including four women who say they were victims of sexual slavery or forced marriages, have fled to the United States, a senator said yesterday.

The group is the first from North Korea to be given official refugee status since passage of a 2004 law that makes it easier for North Koreans to apply for such status.

Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.) said the six refugees arrived at an undisclosed U.S. location Friday night from a Southeast Asian nation. He would not identify which nation they came from because of worries about security for their families and to avoid diplomatic complications with the country that sent them.

"This is a great act of compassion by the United States and the other countries involved," said Brownback, a co-sponsor of the law. He said that the refugees' arrival in the United States showed "the act is working" by making the refugees' human rights a part of U.S. policy toward North Korea.

The issue of North Korean human rights has gained attention in Washington as diplomatic efforts to curb North Korea's nuclear weapons production program have stalled.

Tens of thousands of North Koreans are believed to have fled across their border into China.

The U.S. special envoy on North Korean human rights, Jay Lefkowitz, said at a congressional hearing April 27: "We need to do more -- and we can and will do more -- for the North Korean refugees."

"We will press to make it clear to our friends and allies in the region that we are prepared to accept North Korean refugees for resettlement here," Lefkowitz said.

North Korea long has been accused of torture, public executions and other atrocities against its people. As many as 200,000 people are believed to be held in prison camps for political reasons, the State Department said in a report last year.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Your opening statement is dead on the mark.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

South Korea should definately be ashamed that it's not doing more, although North Korean refugees definately do go to South Korea by the same kind of methods that those six got to the states.

However, don't forget that these refugees had to sneak all the way through China into SE Asia (probably Vietnam) because the government of China deports all North Korean refugees it catches back to North Korea. How much easier would it be for those refugees to get to the states (or anywhere else) if they could simply report to the Chinese police station closest to the border and ask to be sent to the USA?
      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

South Korea at best does nothing to encourage these defections and at worst fights them tooth and nail. So it's not quite complete to say that refugees go to South Korea by the same kind of methods. The callousness to their fellow countrymen is rank.

There are at least two way-points for these refugees. Mongolia and Vietnam. I wish the Chinese would allow defectors to go directly from China to the US, but as of yet, they do not appear to have allowed it. Maybe when word gets around that the US is welcoming defectors, the large numbers will be such that China finds it convenient to quietly allow the US to take the defectors off their hands directly.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Just as well they're not Papuans trying to get into Oz.
          I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

B♭3

Comment

Of course it doesn't encourage defects. They are in process of negotiations with NK. Well they might be halted now but in longer time spectrum they are in talks. NK wants to talk about military, SK wants to talk about human rights and other stuff first. So it's deadlocked anyway, but the talks are in some process.

What you don't want to do is advertise defecting. That's like a big FU during talks. They would unify rather than make more problems, and everyone should be commited to that.

If I was in charge of SK, I would let defectors in, but I would NOT make it news or advertise it. Not during possible negotiations, NK will use it to torpedo the future demands anyway.

That's just the way it goes. Realpolitiks for you all.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I'll give any attractive young woman 'assylum'

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

"ass"ylum?
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                    I wish the Chinese would allow defectors to go directly from China to the US, but as of yet, they do not appear to have allowed it. Maybe when word gets around that the US is welcoming defectors, the large numbers will be such that China finds it convenient to quietly allow the US to take the defectors off their hands directly.
                    I'm not saying a word, but you know all the things I'm thinking.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      I'll give any attractive young woman 'assylum'

A forlorn hope that nobody beat me to it...!

That's a noble gesture DanS providing his ass for all those North Koreans
                      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Re: US giving assylum to N. Korean refugees

Great, more illegal immigrants. Send 'em to Texas.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Political asylum isn't sneaking over the border.

And they don't want to stay in China. What's that tell you?

Comment

Manchuria is the Texas of China . . . of course they don't want to stay.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                              Manchuria is the Texas of China . . . of course they don't want to stay.
                              If Texas broke away now GWB would come looking for WMD there next.

Although the smog Houston puts out should count as a WMD.

Comment

Working...
                              X