Issues of freedom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by General Ludd

through a long series of related events begining with my birth.
    The relevant issue is that you are at the point in your life where you could, if you so desire, relocate to an uninhabited part of the world to live in total personal freedom.

That newborns do not choose to live the life they live is actually of great concern to me, but my solution to the problem would probably make everyone here compare me to Hitler.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

The relevant issue is that you are at the point in your life where you could, if you so desire, relocate to an uninhabited part of the world to live in total personal freedom.
      The freedom to freeze to death in antartica? Actually, I'm actually not at a point in my life where I could get to Antartica to indulge in that freedom, anyways.

That newborns do not choose to live the life they live is actually of great concern to me, but my solution to the problem would probably make everyone here compare me to Hitler.
      I bet you don't sleep much.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

The freedom to freeze to death in antartica? Actually, I'm actually not at a point in my life where I could get to Antartica to indulge in that freedom, anyways.
        Not necessarily Antarctica. If you really, really, really wanted to, you could wander off into the woods, build yourself a boat, and sail to some deserted island somewhere. Our ancient ancestors did it; you can too.

I bet you don't sleep much.
        I don't, actually. I'm completely insane and should have been locked up quite some time ago.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Not necessarily Antarctica. If you really, really, really wanted to, you could wander off into the woods, build yourself a boat, and sail to some deserted island somewhere. Our ancient ancestors did it; you can too.
          Our ancient ancestors, however, did not live in an industrialized world of more than 6 billion people.

If I wandered into the woods (if you can call the 30 year-old shrubbery around here 'the woods') it probably wouldn't be 20 minutes before I come across either a highway, a slag heap, or a pit mine.

And even still, it probably wouldn't be more than a week before I get shot by a hunter or beaten by yokels or picked up by cops.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Ehhh, there's more wilderness than you think. Ever been camping?

Comment

The bears would rape him.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Well that's the price of true personal freedom.

Come on, I want to argue with Pekka. It's oh so much fun.

Comment

Ehhh, there's more wilderness than you think. Ever been camping?
                  There's more civilization than you think. You know, a common practice in clear-cut logging is to leave a buffer between the clear cut and the highway so no one will ever see it without leaving their car (which no one ever would).

Living in a "forest" that's only 20 years old and disected by highways, or drinking out of tailings ponds and dead lakes don't seem like very reasonable choices to me. You have a pretty fantastic view of the world if you think someone can just walk past the suburban sprawl and live like our ancestors did.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Rape is the price of freedom?

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Come on, I want to argue with Pekka. It's oh so much fun.
                      You should have said that the bears will finger you.

Comment

There's more civilization than you think. You know, a common practice in clear-cut logging is to leave a buffer between the clear cut and the highway so no one will ever see it without leaving their car (which no one ever would).

Living in a "forest" that's only 20 years old and disected by highways, or drinking out of tailings ponds and dead lakes don't seem like very reasonable choices to me. You have a pretty fantastic view of the world if you think someone can just walk past the suburban sprawl and live like our ancestors did.
                        Seriously, have you ever been camping? I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about. All of what you said is true, certainly, but there is still nature out there. I know this because... I... uh... was there.

Comment

Rape is the price of freedom?

*shrug* yeah. The price of freedom is that you can depend on no one else to protect you.

Comment

*shrug* yeah. The price of freedom is that you can depend on no one else to protect you.
                            Well yeah, but just to play devils advocate, there's no one there to finger you either.

edit: actually the bears might finger you I guess, so there is no reason to want to be free.

Comment

Kid, if I wanted to debate that position, I would have assumed you actually read the my messages so you would know that has been already covered. I don't like redundancy. It's waste of time.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                                Kid, if I wanted to debate that position, I would have assumed you actually read the my messages so you would know that has been already covered. I don't like redundancy. It's waste of time.
                                If that's all your personal opinion and you are just ranting that's one thing, but if you are saying that others don't have the right to vote for laws that affect you that's another thing. You have not told us why people don't have that right, or shouldn't have that right.

Comment

Working...
                                X