Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"U.S. Immigrants To Boycott on May 1st". This Really Pisses Me Off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is Mexico significantly older than the United States?

Independence as a country: half a century later (at the earliest meaningful definition thereof)
    Settlement: half a century earlier
    Discovery: maybe a century earlier
    Massacre of native population: equally thorough
    Discrimination against modern native population: somewhat more significant

I'd say they're just as built on immigrants, just not quite as large a selection

The US, as with Australia and other large immigrant-founded nations, encouraged immigration with simple laws allowing immigration when we were still empty and needed more laborers and citizens. Now that we're not empty, and don't have (as greaf of) a need for laborers, we don't have as easy access. Combine that with the modern age and the fact that civil society is much more regulated than it was a century or two ago, and you'll find that it's not much of a surprise that it's not as easy as buying a plane ticket to immigrate.

That said, we have more anti-immigrant sentiment than is appropriate in my opinion. But I don't think that necessarily is related or the cause of our immigration regulations themselves. Most of the people actually running this country pretty much understand the real situtation re: immigration, and understand that it's necessary to some extent.

Why else is Bush supporting the immigration compromise (and if anything is more on the side of allowing it)? He's generally been against civil liberties in his presidency, and on the side of the "USA! USA!" hawks...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Ignorant Texans really piss me off.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Where I work, no one worked on the 1st And no one will work on the 8th either.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
          Ignorant Texans really piss me off.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 Massacre of native population: equally thorough
            I'd disagree. The majority of the US population is not made up of people with some native ancestry.
            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
              How is Mexico significantly older than the United States?

Independence as a country: half a century later (at the earliest meaningful definition thereof)
              Settlement: half a century earlier
              Discovery: maybe a century earlier
              Massacre of native population: equally thorough

I'd say they're just as built on immigrants, just not quite as large a selection
              The native population in Mexico was far greater and thus survived in far greater amounts. MOst Mexicans, if not "pure natives" have some degree of indegenous blood in them. MOst mexicans would consider themselves descendets of the natives. According to the CIA factbook 60% of Mexicans are mixed blood, 30% native. Only 9% white. You think 30% of the people in the US are native?

You see this everywhere in Mexico and their culture and national sysmbols. The Mexican capital was built on top of a vast native City. Can;t think of a single major US city that can trace its existance to an indian anything. The middle of the Mexican flag has the eagle on a cactus with a snake, the sign the Aztecs were looking to set up their capital. Any reminder of a native past is any US federal symbol? NO.
              Look at mexican cuisine, which is a mix of Spanish, and Mesoamerican cooking. American cooking as a whole has few links to native past.
              Even the very name of the country: Mexico, based on the name the aztecs called themselves, the Mexica. As opposed to America, a take off on a European's name.

IN short, indigenous heritage was almost as comprehensively wipped out in the US as in Australia. These are socities based on a European model on a blank slate.

Mexico was built by Europeans above an ancient local heritage that had reached very sophisticated levels, including thousands of years of local urbanism.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

reality has a liberal bias.
                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

The ones poor mouthing ignorant Texans, I could on you both; but I'm a nice guy so I won't. I'll merely make the suggestion you rethink your position. Strongly suggest it.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

NO. But you keep bringing up Mexico's immigration laws, which are a non sequitur.

Mexico's identity is not connected to immigration - they don't consider themselves a nation of immigrants, never really have. So like most poor states built upon a very old identity, they make it hard to join up.

The US has no such excuse.
                    nevertheless. My ancestors came to this country legally. I expect others to do the sayme.

Comment

I'm going to go ahead and ask.

Imran, your heritage is Pakistani. An imperial democracy.
                      (As a sidenote, Pakistan is one of the nicest lands in the area. Abundant resources. If USA and israel both transported themselves to ...Saturn, would it solve problems? No. Pakistan would be the new hit single on the mideastern bloc.)

Did you and or your family become citizens? I'm guessing yes. At least I think your family probably did. A commie like you , who knows?

Assuming they did, how do they feel about illegal aliens? Mexicans or not?
                      Citizenship tests are no walk in the park. Requirements to meet to become a citizen are not easy.
                      How do they feel?

(Another brief aside. Mexicans don't even speak Spanish, per se. Not Castillian, which students in USA or anywhere learn, and is what Spanish people speak. besides English. Just a trivia for the day.)

Che, I won't even addess you, because you're a fool.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

In my 7th, 8th, and 9th grade classes as well as the college refresher class I was always taught Mexican Spanish because it is the relevant Spanish dialect. Mention was made of the difference, but focus was placed on Latin America not Spain.
                        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                          The Mexican capital was built on top of a vast native City.
                          Yea after they killed those natives.

Comment

Sloww:

Yes they do speak Castillian Spanish in Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
                              Where I work, no one worked on the 1st And no one will work on the 8th either.
                              Dirty Frenchman
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Did GePap pwn Snoopy??
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X