Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China warns tourists against spitting overseas

What else can be said?

That was kind of a rhetorical question. Say something.

Fri May 5, 8:16 AM ET

BEIJING (Reuters) - Some Chinese tourists have been warned that while spitting, slurping food and cutting in line may merely disgust people at home, they are sometimes not tolerated abroad, Xinhua news agency said Friday.

The increasing number of Chinese tourists traveling abroad may be a huge new source of income to destination countries, but that won't prevent complaints against individuals from reflecting badly on all of China, Xinhua said.

"The media in Singapore reports that hotel staff are upset with Chinese tourists spitting in their rooms and smoking in bed," it said.

"...Singapore airline companies also criticized Chinese tourists for talking loudly and being very rude. Even Hong Kong newspapers have pointed out that some mainlanders lack manners and social graces."

Beijing residents said last year spitting in public was what they could not stand most about living in the Chinese capital, followed close behind by dog owners who fail to clean up after their pets.

Beijing has launched a campaign to make its citizens more "civil" in the run-up to hosting the 2008 Olympics. Games organizers have repeatedly said the city needs to teach its people to stand in line, stop spitting and littering and generally be better mannered.

Past efforts to stamp out the spitting habit, like a 2003 campaign to help curb the spread of
    SARS, have not been very effective, partly because many people believe clearing the lungs and firing away is good for your health.

A woman walks near a 'Don't Spit' campaign poster in Shanghai in this 2003 file.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

*Crosses off China from the future places to visit list*

That is just gross. Not cleaning up after their animals! Showing no manners at all. What kind of society is this?
    One thing you gotta ask yourself... where are you now? -- James Blunt lyrics

Comment

*Ahem* This used to be a problem until very recently in Berlin

As far as spitting goes, the Chinese ARE gross. That poster however be yarr and woo

Comment

If only the UK Government would undertake such an initiative.

Edit: Againt rude and annoying British tourists, that is. Not spitting.

Comment

So spitting is cool with you? Nothing like stepping or sitting in a big loogie.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Spitting is uncouth.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

HAWK! PTOOEY! Yes, indeed. Debonair.

Comment

Past efforts to stamp out the spitting habit, like a 2003 campaign to help curb the spread of
                SARS, have not been very effective, partly because many people believe clearing the lungs and firing away is good for your health.

Plastinate the buggers!!!
                I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Damn. You guys are easily offended.

I'd love to take y'all out to a proper Chinese restaurant sometime - people don't just spit on the floor. They use it as an all-purpose litter bin.

Come in for a meal just after a busy period 'n you'll be walking through more than a few slippery crachets... there's piles of discarded paper napkins and tablecovers, chicken bones, chopsticks, fish heads, whatever.

Comment

eeeeeeeeeeeuwwwwwwwww!!!!
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Just stay wherever you are, Terra. We hang people for less than that.

And some idiot will think I'm being truthful on that one. Who cares?

Comment

Alas, spitting in public and leaving dog **** on sidewalks is rampant the world over.

To be well known for those things takes prodigious amounts of dedication and persistence.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Was Vietnam the country that recently ran a campaign to discourage urinating in public?
                          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            We hang people for less than that.
                            Wha the..?!!!

And some idiot will think I'm being truthful on that one. Who cares?

I thought you were serious for a moment there. The world's in a bad way when they start needing reasons to hang people in Texas.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X