Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cort Haus
    @Laz

We have a breakfast that even my French friends love, the mighty roast dinner, and for lunch the Earl of Sandwich invented the, er, sandwich to eat while playing chess - fast food for strategy gamers!

That ain't bad going.
    True story: I was talking to this Senegalese girl here in English. At some point she couldn't remember what the English word for sandwich (said with a French accent) was .
    Last edited by Victor Galis; May 7, 2006, 16:29.
    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
    -Joan Robinson

Comment

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Anyone care for a spot of gin in their tea?
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

nm
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Fish'n'chips please.

If the English never did anything else right over the centuries (well apart from repeatedly warring with France of course) they did at least put in an outstanding effort solely based on the merits of Fish'n'chips.

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
              If the English never did anything else right over the centuries ... Fish'n'chips
              Well, there were some good game releases ... arguably not the first bat & ball or kickball franchises, but lasting and loved titles ...

Cricket - England's gift to the British Empire.
              (Association) Football - Britain's gift to the World.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                I thought we weren't allowed to have foreign-language threads
                It's funny you say that - the last time I was in Newcastle someone came up to me - I think he was asking for directions - but I wasn't sure - I couldn't understand a bleeding word he was saying. And he was speaking English, apparently...
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
                  Fish'n'chips please.

If the English never did anything else right over the centuries (well apart from repeatedly warring with France of course) they did at least put in an outstanding effort solely based on the merits of Fish'n'chips.
                  I find it too greasy for my tastes...which is quite interesting considering I come from what was once one of the biggest fishing ports in the country...
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

It's funny you say that - the last time I was in Newcastle someone came up to me - I think he was asking for directions - but I wasn't sure - I couldn't understand a bleeding word he was saying. And he was speaking English, apparently...
                    The people that speak English the worst is the English.
                    "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                    "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                    Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

WRT tea, I'm slowly being turned into a loose-tea snob with the infuser mug I got for Xmas and some bags from Teaism. I've only got their standard Darjeeling and Keemun, but back home my dad has this out-of-sight variety called Guangdong. I could go for some Guangdong now.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Bill3000

The people that speak English the worst is the English.
                        You is not knowing what you is talking about.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york

To make things more 'poly-friendly then may I suggest that we adopt the Greek pronunciation of our next king's old man?

Greek? He's 15/16ths German, and the remaining 1/16th is mostly Danish.

The fact that his true surname is Schleswig-Holstein-Sunderburg-Glucksburg is a bit of a giveaway.
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Tea
                            Scones

Premier League
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Food
                              "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                              "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

The pound

My increasingly worthless life savings stored in dollars
                                "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                                -Joan Robinson

Comment

Working...
                                X