Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Victor Galis
    What's wrong with English cooking?
    An ancient Greek philosopher once told a tale of a donkey, who was kept by his owner in a small hut, filled with foul ordure and with sparse ventilation. The donkey was happy after his fashion, and refused to leave the hut, even though his friend the badger assured him that it stank. The donkey claimed that he couldn't smell anything and that the flies and maggots were good company.

The moral of this story: don't be an ass.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

The second moral of the story is that ancient Greek donkeys and journalists writing in a time of wartime austerity might not be best-placed to comment on it.

The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Jesus... when the Indians turned up, you all jumped ship to curry. What more damning indictment of English food could there be?
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Dinner today will be two prime ribs of organic Aberdeen Angus. I will be seasoning it with sea salt, black pepper, wild garlic, lemon thyme and a little olive oil, then searing it at 230 degrees C for 30 minutes. Then I'll be cooking it for a further 35 minutes at 160 degrees C, before allowing it to rest for a further 30 minutes.

It will be served in a gravy made from the roast's juices, coupled with my own home-made beef stock and a dash of red wine- thickened with plain cornflour.

It will be served with rosemary-roasted potatoes, roasted leeks, broccolli and carrots, and accompanied with a bottle of Bass.

May all of you denigrating British cuisine dine even half so well tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
            Jesus... when the Indians turned up, you all jumped ship to curry. What more damning indictment of English food could there be?
            There's been a big revival in traditional English foods over recent years. However the huge multicutural input to British foods means that in just about any British city, the world's cuisine is on offer.

Try that in Paris.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

There's been a big revival in traditional English foods over recent years. However the huge multicutural input to British foods means that in just about any British city, the world's cuisine is on offer.

Try that in Paris.
              Go to Toronto..

...I haven't been in the UK for a number of years, so I don't know what's going on lately other than the football results (here's hoping the lads stuff Chelsea this evening). Still the world's best league system.

The inefficiency of the place irks me sometimes, but that is part of its charm I suppose. I don't think I could live there. Academic salaries are a joke in Britain, and the place tends to drive me nuts. Say what you want about the Canadians, but they never messed me around.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Dinner today will be two prime ribs of organic Aberdeen Angus. I will be seasoning it with sea salt, black pepper, wild garlic, lemon thyme and a little olive oil, then searing it at 230 degrees C for 30 minutes. Then I'll be cooking it for a further 35 minutes at 160 degrees C, before allowing it to rest for a further 30 minutes.

It will be served in a gravy made from the roast's juices, coupled with my own home-made beef stock and a dash of red wine- thickened with plain cornflour.

It will be served with rosemary-roasted potatoes, roasted leeks, broccolli and carrots, and accompanied with a bottle of Bass.

May all of you denigrating British cuisine dine even half so well tonight.
                Colon cancer FTL (says the heavy smoker )
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Try that in Paris.
                  ... and you'll succeed.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I suppose having lived in Atlanta for awhile, I can't imagine how it could possibly be hard to find any sort of strange and exotic cuisine in a large city. That is the only good thing I will say about it.
                    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

@Laz

We have a breakfast that even my French friends love, the mighty roast dinner, and for lunch the Earl of Sandwich invented the, er, sandwich to eat while playing chess - fast food for strategy gamers!

That ain't bad going.

Comment

Of course, the irony in attempting to reproduce Received Pronunciation (ie- Posh English) is that it originated as an attempt to mimic the mangled prot-German accents of the Royal Family.
                        To make things more 'poly-friendly then may I suggest that we adopt the Greek pronunciation of our next king's old man?

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york

To make things more 'poly-friendly then may I suggest that we adopt the Greek pronunciation of our next king's old man?
                          Howay Maan!! We should aal be taakin Geordie, reet?

Lookin forward t' the Toon versus Evil Russian Gangster United, DOY?
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Why aye bonny lad. Hee-ya Slurr, wus all gan doon tha Bigg Market fur ta sup a cupple for tha match - jas wanna join wer?

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
                              Why aye bonny lad. Hee-ya Slurr, wus all gan doon tha Bigg Market fur ta sup a cupple for tha match - jas wanna join wer?
                              I took some friends to the Bigg Market once. They didn't believe that such women existed until then...
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

I thought we weren't allowed to have foreign-language threads

Comment

Working...
                                X