• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porter Goss Quits

Source: CIA Director Goss Resigns
    May 05 1:48 PM US/Eastern
    Email this story

WASHINGTON

CIA Director Porter Goss has resigned, a senior administration official said.

President Bush, who has been making staff changes at the White House to reinvigoriate his second term, was making another personnel announcement Friday.

Bush's new chief of staff, Joshua Bolten, has made several changes since taking over last month.

Recently, longtime Bush adviser and confidant Karl Rove had the policy-making portion of his portfolio taken away so he could focus on the midterm elections and White House press secretary Scott McClellan announced his resignation. McClellan has been replaced by Fox News commentator Tony Snow.

McClellan's last briefing at the White House was Friday. His last day isn't until next week, but the president is traveling in Florida the first part of the week, meaning that McClellan will be briefing on the road.

Rove was allowed to keep his deputy chief of staff title, but was stripped of day-to-day oversight of policy coordination. That job was given to Joel Kaplan, Bolten's former No. 2 when he was budget director.

Bush also named Rob Portman, a former six-term Republican congressman from Ohio who now serves as U.S. trade representative, to replace Bolten at the head of the Office of Management and Budget.

The vacant job of domestic policy adviser has not yet filled.

Other changes that have been expected included changes in the White House lobbying office run by Candida Wolff and the expected departure of communications chief Nicolle Wallace, whose husband recently moved to New York. Officials have also done little to discourage speculation that Treasury Secretary John Snow is leaving.
    Who's gonna be the next CIA director?

Maybe its time for Rummy to step down as Sec Defense......

and take on the CIA role.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Wow.
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

At this point we can only speculate as to why he was fired.
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

I think I know, but who is your avatar?

edit: Nope. Thought is was Longstreet
        Last edited by SlowwHand; May 5, 2006, 16:58.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Re: Porter Goss Quits

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
          I'm trying to think of someone competent in Washington D.C. that Bush can appoint.

...still thinkin'....

........still thinking.........

....................still thinking.........

Comment

righties are suggesting John Bolton.

Drunken righties are suggesting Rumsfeld

Hadley would seem to be a possibility.

Or some ex general or ex admiral type.

But essentially Negroponte is in charge, and i think thats what this is about.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              I think I know, but who is your avatar?

edit: Nope. Thought is was Longstreet

My avatar?

A famous Ned, of course.

Comment

We will learn who on Monday according to CNN.

But firing Goss is strange.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                  ... Or some ex general or ex admiral type...
                  Admiral Bobby Inman??

Comment

It seems like Goss was the designated hatchet man that was told to go clean house at CIA. I think his task is pretty much done.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Couldn't his parents spell Peter correctly on the birth certificate?
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

If Goss was fired b/c he was cleaning house, I think there will be hell to pay.

Comment

I'll accept the position if offered. I'm well qualified.
                          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                          2004 Presidential Candidate
                          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Re: Porter Goss Quits

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                            Jack Bauer!
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Goss's sole purpose was to purge the CIA of dissent and refill it with Bush lackeys.
                              Last edited by Odin; May 7, 2006, 01:26.

Comment

Working...
                              X