No announcement yet.

future of French language?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't the latest incidents in france contradict this ? While you maintain the inflexibility of employment, I don't think that you'll get anywhere.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

What percentage of Chadians can actually speak French with any fluency? Of Congolese (either Congo)?
      I had 3 african students last winter. 2 were francophones et they were OK students. The third was from Congo and his French was really, really bad. Not sure if its representative of the Congolese, though.
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo

I had 3 african students last winter. 2 were francophones et they were OK students. The third was from Congo and his French was really, really bad. Not sure if its representative of the Congolese, though.
        I would presume a group of Congolese coming to Montreal as students would tend to have a higher level of competence in French than the average man on the dirt track in the Congo.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.†Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by fed1943

If your language is english, do not learn a germanic language because they are good at languages and speak english.
          Obviously, you've never met a Dane. They can't even speak comprehensible Danish.

Also, if you go to Germany in the expectation that everybody knows passable English, you're in for a rough surprise.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

My friend teaches French immersion to 1st graders here in Montgomery County. Her school has a whole French immersion program that is rather popular it seems.
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist

Obviously, you've never met a Dane. They can't even speak comprehensible Danish.

Also, if you go to Germany in the expectation that everybody knows passable English, you're in for a rough surprise.
              comprehensible Danish = Norwegian.

danes don't even understand eachother anymore - fact.
              CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist

ya, but becausen Deutsch und Anglische are von de samen familie von sprechen, Ich kann sprechen der deutshce sehr easilich mit ausen lernen der Deutsche - ya?
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.†Martin Buber

Comment

Das ist einfach nicht so.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

since much english is based on old danish, you are better off learning that than swedish or norwegian since they obviously are obsolete.
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Re: future of French language?

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                      Or maybe there really isnt much reason to take French anymore.
                      Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                      I suspect French is headed the way of Latin -- and German.
                      Et le breton alors?!!

Bande de connards lingperialists.
                      I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

ils ont des chapeaux ronds, vive la bretagne
                        ils ont des chapeaux ronds, vive les bretons.
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Re: the OP

I really wouldn't worry about what kids learn at school. I never did any languages in high school. When you grow up in the 'burbs, 20,000 miles from nowhere, there doesn't seem much point. Then I got the chance to go to France for a while and, because I needed it, I picked it up in six months.

The embarrasing part was listening to my friends who had taken French in high school... ueghh. Ever heard someone using French words with English diction, and sounding like they just walked off a sheep station? Of course PotM's teachers will probably more competent than what we had back then, but even so...

I'd say exposure to another language is a great idea. But it's more important to pick something that will interest her than to seek the absolute best mileage out of a given language.

The most valuable thing right now is for her to have a positive experience with it. The particular language she ends up with is largely insignificant.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                            France is due for an important generational shift, where a younger generation will rise to prominence in pretty much every field (political, business, high-end in show-business etc.).
                            During this change, you'll find quite a few self-made men of immigrant background, who can also shake the tree a bit. As they blended with the French (in a flawed fashion), the immigrants created a seriously new culture that is only waiting to become mainstream.

Also, there are several modernizations fo the French society that are incoming: the role of migrants, but also the relationship between leisure and work, the issue of job safety and economic ambition, etc. These debates should make dramatic progresses once we get rid of the last remnants of gaullism next year.

Finally, France has good economic strengthes for itself (a most excellent infrastructure, a very well educated population), which will allow for a rapid gain in prosperity once we get rid of the old conservatisms.
                            Won't a load of immigrants (with a hybrid culture) coming into positions of power just further inflame the French right-wing? Frankly, I can't see the French being that welcoming of such a new culture...

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                              because 'courriel' for email just sounds elitist.
                              Must admit. I kinda prefer 'courriel.' At least I know how to pronounce it.

I mean with email, I'm like... should that be "imaille" or "hemel" or "hemal" or,...

It's like 'hamburger.' Damn hardest word to pronouce in the entire bleedin' language. Seriously, every time I'd ask for one, I was like...ummm, I'll have a embourjer, no I mean embourgher, no wait, I mean, give me a ammeburrejeh ...

Comment

'steak' --> stek.

'email' -->imel
                                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Working...
                                X