future of French language?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• future of French language?

Now i love the la langue francais, whatever I think of the French govt. I wish id learned more of it.

POTM has just selected her high school language. She picked Japanese. She and her friends think its cool. She considered Russian which was pushed by the Russian club, but decided against it. Of course Spanish is still the default language taken by most kids. But, from what POTM says, hardly anyone is taking French.
    Chinese is now being offered, but POTM wasnt interested.

Now maybe its cause this is a science-tech school and at a humanities program (like the IB program) thered be more kids taking French.

Or maybe there really isnt much reason to take French anymore. No real pop culture exports (like Japan) and certainly not the high culture power France had when I took French back in the 1970's. And not the economic importance of Chinese or Japanese. Not the power, the sense of cache, French still had in the '70s.

I dont know. Your thoughts? Je ne sais pad. Votre pensees?
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

POTM has just selected her high school language. She picked Japanese. She and her friends think its cool. She considered Russian which was pushed by the Russian club, but decided against it. Of course Spanish is still the default language taken by most kids. But, from what POTM says, hardly anyone is taking French.

Good! The AP French Language teacher (also teaches some French 3 and maybe French 2 classes) is terrible*.

*my opinion, some people actually like him

Comment

Re: future of French language?

Originally posted by lord of the mark
      Je ne sais pad. Votre pensees?
      I may not be a francophile, but I noticed the typo right away.

Comment

which one?
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

oui c'est un "typo", pas un erreur de l'orthographe.
          Je sais que le mot "pas" n'est pas ecrivee "pad".
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

But do you know what the plural form of "votre" is?
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I had to choose between French and German as my third language. I chose German. The main reason was that most of my friends did and French was considered the girly option. What can I say, I was 13.

But now I kind of wish I had chosen French. Because most Germans speak English, while quite a few Frenchies do not. (I still try to speak only in German when in Germany/Austria though.) Plus if I had learned French back then I suppose it would be easier for me to learn Spanish.
              CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                which one?
                pas not pad. I took two years of French in Junior High and if the typo was any more complicated then that then I wouldn't have caught it.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I took french for my language..

My highschool only offered Spanish, and I wanted to be different, and I could swing French. Of course, I such at languages.

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

oh lalalallalala quel chenit! eh spiff, ils sont pire que moi!

I have no idea what the future of the french language is, all I know is that 2 languages is better than 1 and 3 is better than 2 etc. I dont know if as an american it really matters what second langauge you take unless you are looking at a specific field ('peace' officer, obviously spanish)
                    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
                      Plus if I had learned French back then I suppose it would be easier for me to learn Spanish.
                      Yes and no - if you can/have learned french, you tend to "speak french" instead of spanish - my spanish teacher scolded me a bit because of that.
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                        But do you know what the plural form of "votre" is?
                        Oh - yeah. Votres pensees. Votre pensee.

Your thoughts. Your thought.

Whatever. (how you say dat in French, Mr Smartie?)

Comment

chat noir, t'es francophone?

because with french, you can always go to cool places like:

Guadaloupe
                          Tahiti
                          Western Switzerland
                          Quebec (dont know how cool this place is, never been)
                          Belgium (probably not that cool)
                          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

The thing is you can go to Quebec and Guadaloupe and everyone likely speaks English though they may pretend they don't.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

(how you say dat in French, Mr Smartie?)
                              Qu'en pensez-vous?
                              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Working...
                              X