Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Football Thread VIII - The beautiful game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great solution!
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

• Wow... Fox bigging up soccer!

View a list of professional soccer leagues, competitions and tournaments.

Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH
        The world cup doesn't need to expand. It is already watched by people in practically every country in the world. A cumulative 28.8 billion in 2002, in 213 countries. Over 1.1 billion people watched the final.

It's the biggest sporting event on the planet dwarfing the Olympics which is the second biggest (cumulative 3.7 billion in 220 countries).
        Your lack of desire to milk the event is disturbing. The goal would be to fill stadiums and to make it a bigger event for the host country. The World Cup should be an infrastructure event, like the olympics is -- i.e., a country should be willing to build out its infrastructure in order to host the event.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Fill stadiums?! Do you know how hard it is to get a ticket for this world cup?!

Countries already have to go through a very stringent process to be awarded the games, and if they don't have enough big, high quality stadiums they have to show that they can build them in time. It really is like that already, but some European countries, and the US for instance, are already lucky enough to have sufficient high quality stadia.

South Africa (hosts in 2010) are under a lot of pressure to get their stadiums in order.

I don't know how they could really milk the world cup anymore considering the amount of merchandise available.

Personally I have a world cup ball and I am doing quite well filling my Panini World Cup sticker book...
          We've got both kinds

Comment

• Scrap the Euros/Africans and have the tournament every two years.

Comment

• Fill stadiums?! Do you know how hard it is to get a ticket for this world cup?!
              Bigger stadiums. Germany's stadiums are smallish. Germany could have made a lot more money this World Cup with bigger stadiums.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS

Your lack of desire to milk the event is disturbing.
                I'm sorry Dan, but that is just an outrageous thing to say.
                Last edited by Colonâ„¢; June 5, 2006, 12:03.
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• Is Dan just trolling or does he have no idea of the scale of this thing? I think Japan spent about £4 billion building stadiums.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

• I'm making an argument about scale. The World Cup should be averaging 80,000 attendees per game. And there should be more games.

Comment

Bigger stadiums. Germany's stadiums are smallish. Germany could have made a lot more money this World Cup with bigger stadiums.
                      But they have to be able to fill them when the World Cup has finished....

Comment

• Why? The amount of money that the World Cup generates for the host country outside the stadium absolutely dwarfs the money made inside the stadium.

But anyway, if Germany doesn't have enough big venues, it should share hosting with another country.

Comment

• The stadium are on average no smaller than they were in Japan/SK, and bigger than in France. The stadiums used in the US were bigger yes, but they happened to have quite a few of those in handy already. Only normal considering the size of the country.
                          Last edited by Colonâ„¢; June 5, 2006, 12:11.
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Why? The amount of money that the World Cup generates for the host country outside the stadium absolutely dwarfs the money made inside the stadium.
                            Because football clubs play in them every week, the atmosphere would be awful and detremental to the club.

I know I'm talking to a right-wing Yank about football and money, but c'mon!!
                            Last edited by reds4ever; June 5, 2006, 12:21.

Comment

• Oops! I'm so profound, I quoted myself!
                              Last edited by reds4ever; June 5, 2006, 12:20.

Comment

I'm making an argument about scale. The World Cup should be averaging 80,000 attendees per game. And there should be more games.
                                Why?

As we said above re: the MLS, it's always better to sell out every venue for every game. As popular as the world cup is, there are some countries that are poorer, or have travel restrictions where that's unrealistic. Yeah, you could easily get 80,000 for Germany Poland or the later group matches, but not for Tunisia vs Saudi Arabia. Plus these are all club stadiums, you don't want to leave a load of clubs with mostly empty stadiums after the event, and you don't want 10 stadiums that are never used again. And the price per ticket inflates because of high demand.

Ticket sales are a small fraction of income. The worldwide TV rights and merchandising dwarf that.

edit: I see Reds already made most of my points for me.
                                We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                                X